'88 45 hp controls for smaller merc?

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
The lake where I keep my pontoon boat closes to the use of motors >10hp for more than two months, including Nov and Dec, two of the best months for boating in North Florida.

The rational of the closing is interesting: the lake is important to migratory birds that rest there and important to duck hunters who pass innumerable grocery stores on the way out to blast 'em. Go figure. I think that my motor running at quarter throttle would be less annoying to the birds than the hunters blasting away at 'em and, occasionally, blasting away at each other.

Ayway, I have an '88 classic fifty (45hp) I'm thinking of getting a smaller motor for those two months but doubt that there is any Mercury/Mariner engine of less than ten hp that is compatible with my existing controls, and even less chance that one might have electric start.

Am I right?

It also occurs to me that what I really need is decals from a 10 hp mercury.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '88 45 hp controls for smaller merc?

"It also occurs to me that what I really need is decals from a 10 hp mercury."

i don't think you will get that 4cylinder over the game warden's head, as a 10hp. they are a lot smarter than they use to be.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '88 45 hp controls for smaller merc?

i don't think you will get that 4cylinder over the game warden's head, as a 10hp. they are a lot smarter than they use to be.
But aren't most of 'em GATORS? (LOL, this is the best I've felt since Saturday)