Does anybody have a suggestion?

pbe

Recruit
I posted this a couple days ago w/no response. I hope there is someone that can help. Thanks<br /><br />I have a 99 mecury 2 stroke outboard (not a force) and it occasionally makes a squeak noise, like a wet or loose fan belt in a car. It does not occurr during idle, only when the RPMs are up in nuetral, forward or reverse and after the engine is warmed up. Also, the noise comes and goes but can last as long as 15 minutes at a time. The motor is very clean, lubed and sounds strong w/very low hours. Any suggestions before I take it to the shop. I had people say pump bearings, shaft bearings & carb mixture to lean but i have not checked these suggestions out yet. Thanks, Paul

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does anybody have a suggestion?

What size motor is it? Does it have any belts? If it has one to turn the generator or something, maybe it needs adjusting.

Moody Blue

Captain

More info would help diagnos the problem. Motor is a ???. Tiller or remote operation ??? What Rpm does it make the noise ? IS it louder with the shroud off the motor ? New or old problem ? Can you isolate the noise to the powerhead or lower unit specifically ? Does the noise change as rpms change ?

pbe

Recruit

To answer a few questions:<br /><br />-The "squeak" sound is new, just started last week<br />-it's a 90hp two stroke w/remote<br />-there are no belts or pullys that i see<br />-The "squeak" comes after the motor warms up and only when the RPMs are above idle speed<br />-The "squeak" is constant throughout the entire RPM range, again, except at idle speed. Also, the squeak appears to get more high pitched w/more RPM<br />-The "squeak" comes and goes but generally stays<br />-The noise doesn't appear to get louder when the cover is off.<br /><br />Other than that, the motor is spotless (looks brand new) w/about 60 hours on it, according the man i bought it from.<br /><br />I've heard that the problem may be power head bearings or water pump bearings or shaft bearings. <br /><br />I appreciate the advise and help, Paul