Need help picking out a motor!

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 94 1542 15ft duracraft, 60 inches wide, 15 inch trandsom. it says the max horsepower is a 25 though. i want to put something biger on there. how big should i go? i also think i want a 2-stroke because there more powerful and lighter, so i can put a little biger motor on there. what size engine do you think i should get? a 2-stroke or 4?

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need help picking out a motor!

How big should you go?
25 HP.
Any more and you're asking for trouble- with law enforcement AND your insurance carrier.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

It's just not safe going to a bigger motor. Look, you have the benefit of the newer 2 strokes having more power per pound over the older motors, so you are getting that benefit by powering up with a newer 2 stroke. You can get boarded and checked, and if the motor is not safe for the boat you can be fined, or jailed, or maybe drawn and quartered, depending upon the attitude and demeanor of the officer involved.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wasn't aware there was a penalty for having a boat that is overpowered, just that it is not recommended by the coast guard. I'm sure that they could make the argument that you are endangering yourself and others by having an overpowered boat. These guys are right though, don't ignore the plate. If you must go bigger I'd set the max at 30 hp.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Have you not heard of lawyers?? In the event you have an "incident", especially one involving personal injury, they will look at every aspect and when they see the tag on your boat says 25 HP max and you have a 40, guess what happens. Two things happen. First, your insurance company (if you have one) will hang you out to dry because you lied on the application, and second, those attorneys will take you to court. While there may or may not be a law in your state about overpowering a boat, they would likely rely on the "wreckless endangerment" laws and get to your wallet in that manner. By the way -- if you do tell the insurance company the boat is rated for a 25 but you have a 40, they likely will not insure the rig.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this is what the Coast Guard says:
The United States Coast Guard has an opinion on this frequently asked question, and their answer from their website is reproduced below:
Can I use a bigger motor on my boat than what it's rated for?
It is not a violation of Coast Guard regulations to install or use an engine larger than specified on the capacity label, but there may be state regulations prohibiting it, and restrictions from your own insurance company regarding this.
There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. There is a Coast Guard regulation that gives Coast Guard Boarding Officers the power to terminate the use of a boat (send it back to shore) if, in the judgment of the Boarding Officer, the boat is overloaded. There is no fine for this, unless the operator refuses the Boarding Officer's order. We certainly hope that you will abide by the rating, as overloading may lead to capsizing or swamping of the boat.
NOTE: The Coast Guard Capacity Information label is required only on monohull boats less than 20' in length. The label is not required on multi-hull boats, pontoon boats (catamarans), or on any sailboats, canoes, kayaks, or inflatable boats, regardless of length.
As the Coast Guard mentions, local regulations may apply. For example, in the state of Ohio one should be guided by this regulation:
Capacity Plates
(ORC 1547.39 & ORC 1547-40)
No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists, no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property.