Cheap boat

skynyrdmate

Recruit
Whats up fellas? Me and my friends are lookin to buy a new used boat. As you can probably tell by looking at my username we're teenagers. We just want something to put on the water that runs and we can cast some lines of off. We don't need anything with a big motor as long as it's not terriblely slow. Can anyone reccomend a used cheap boat for us or a website with good cheap boats? Around 14 - 18 ft.<br /><br /><br />Oh btw sorry i forgot to mention by "cheap" i meant sub $3000 with motor.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cheap boat

'round here BassTrackers are dirt cheap and plentiful. They're usually underpowered but they'll get you there. There is a "Boats for Sale" at the top of this page. <br /><br />spots

ricksrster

Commander

Also, Keep your eye on Ebay. Sometimes a good boat will show up there that somebody has to get rid of and they go pretty cheap.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Helps to know where you are located, and where you will use the boat.<br /><br />Are you in the USA?<br />Saltwater?<br />Small lakes?<br />Large open water?<br /><br />Unless you are in the deep south, I would wait till mid april. Lots of boats for sale in the spring.<br /><br />Make sure you get to test drive the boat before you hand over your cash.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm only sixteen and just last year bought an 18 ft Fisher aluinum center console. I only paid $1200 for it, and it came with a motor and trailer. Of course the motor was shot and I had to repower but that only cost me an extra $600. I repowered with an old Johnson 28. It's slow but it gets me there. <br /><br />They're out there, you just have to be willing to do some work on them.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

As you can probably tell by looking at my username we're teenagers.
Not meaning to sound like a smarta** but just wondering how could we tell by your username that you are a teenager? :) :) <br /><br />I am a tad over 50 and have been a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan (If that is who you are referring to) since I was in my late teens, or turning 20. Kind of hard to remember how long now but I will say that my two boys, 17 and 11, also love the Skynyrd music along with other R&R groups. Not very often that parents and their kids like to listen to the same type of music. Makes the fishing and camping trips a lot better.<br /><br />If that is not who you are referring to then I guess I really AM getting old. :) <br /><br />Anyway, welcome to iboats! If you are in the deep south such as I am, I would wait a couple of more months before buying anything. Usually about that time of year (February) there are lots of boats listed in the newspaper, websites, and other sources as many people are looking to sell and upgrade, etc. before spring. Lots of good prices at that time of the year. I will be looking to sell mine and get something else before spring as I have found that is the best time of year to buy and sell.<br /><br />Good luck!

skynyrdmate

Recruit

Originally posted by Brad E:<br />
As you can probably tell by looking at my username we're teenagers.
Not meaning to sound like a smarta** but just wondering how could we tell by your username that you are a teenager? :) :) <br /><br />I am a tad over 50 and have been a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan (If that is who you are referring to) since I was in my late teens, or turning 20. Kind of hard to remember how long now but I will say that my two boys, 17 and 11, also love the Skynyrd music along with other R&R groups. Not very often that parents and their kids like to listen to the same type of music. Makes the fishing and camping trips a lot better.<br /><br />If that is not who you are referring to then I guess I really AM getting old. :) <br /><br />Anyway, welcome to iboats! If you are in the deep south such as I am, I would wait a couple of more months before buying anything. Usually about that time of year (February) there are lots of boats listed in the newspaper, websites, and other sources as many people are looking to sell and upgrade, etc. before spring. Lots of good prices at that time of the year. I will be looking to sell mine and get something else before spring as I have found that is the best time of year to buy and sell.<br /><br />Good luck!
Yes sir i do mean Lynyrd Skynyrd, my favorite band. When I was registering I tried to get my name as bassface but it was taken and I guess i forgot :D . <br /><br />Anyway I'm located in Virginia and was planning on waiting til the Spring anyway so we can get up enough cash. I really like those Fisher boats so I'm going to look for one of those. Thanks guys.

jph20

Seaman

brad e what kinda boat did ya say you were sellen this spring :D like you said it's upgrade time

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Let me step in and say don't wait for spring. That is when the prices will be at their peak. The best time for a buyer is when it is cold and miserable and a seller needs a bit of cash.

skynyrdmate

Recruit

Originally posted by SoLittle:<br /> Let me step in and say don't wait for spring. That is when the prices will be at their peak. The best time for a buyer is when it is cold and miserable and a seller needs a bit of cash.
We're probably going to buy it whenever we can get the money. <br /><br />One of my friends found a 14 ft 1989 bayliner capri for under $1800 with a 50hp motor on it.It has plently of fishing and seating room so this a bonus for us.Does this sound like a decent deal? How long do boats/electronics/motors/etc usually last?

74Baja

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i had a 80's ish 18 foot bayliner capri with an early 70's evinrude 115. it was abused before i got it, but it was fine for fishin' and you could do a little sking. now i got a 1974 16 foot baja shallow vee, undergoing transom repair in my garage, with a 1999 johnson 115 "Looper". It FLIES! but if thats not what your into, what your lookin at doesnt sound too bad. DONT BE DUMB LIKE ME!!! check the transom, floor and what ever else the owner lets you before you buy. if it doesnt make the seller cry, get on the cav. plate on the outboard and bounce up and down. the transom shouldnt move a bit.<br />Good luck and rock on :cool:

skynyrdmate

Recruit

Originally posted by 74Baja:<br /> i had a 80's ish 18 foot bayliner capri with an early 70's evinrude 115. it was abused before i got it, but it was fine for fishin' and you could do a little sking. now i got a 1974 16 foot baja shallow vee, undergoing transom repair in my garage, with a 1999 johnson 115 "Looper". It FLIES! but if thats not what your into, what your lookin at doesnt sound too bad. DONT BE DUMB LIKE ME!!! check the transom, floor and what ever else the owner lets you before you buy. if it doesnt make the seller cry, get on the cav. plate on the outboard and bounce up and down. the transom shouldnt move a bit.<br />Good luck and rock on :cool:
Thanks man, now that I have an idea for the boat I have to find a spot to fish with it :cool: i live in northern va so theres the obvious potomac, but i dunno if we'll be able to handle yet.

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't mean to change the subject here but ... since you say you are a teenager, (God I miss those days) I believe it is mandatory for people born after a certain date to take a boating safety course. Even if this isn't the case, take one anyway, if you don't have someone VERY experienced with boating to take you out and show you the ropes. Boating is just like driving, no one should be doing it without some instruction. Especially with a boat. If something happens, you can't just get out and walk. <br /><br />Don't get me wrong, I'm not raggin' on you. Far from it. I think your very smart just by admitting you are inexperienced. You need to find a way to get that experience. It will save you money, headaches, heartaches, and maybe your life.<br /><br />Dan

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

brad e what kinda boat did ya say you were sellen this spring like you said it's upgrade time
It's a 15' aluminum flat bottom jon (or as we cajuns call it, a bateau) with an early 80's 50 merc. The brand name of the boat is Louisiana Traveler, which was a very popular model around here for a lot of years. It's fully rigged with fishing seats, deck, carpet, trolling motor, and lots of other stuff. It's been a great little fishing boat. When I do replace it, it will definitely be with another aluminum flat as they are better suited for the areas we like to fish. Plus the fact that if you buy a used one you don't usually have to worry about bad floors, transoms, etc., as you do with a used fiberglass boat.<br /><br />The only reason I need to upgrade is basically because my boys are getting older and that means bigger too. My oldest, the 17 year old, is 6'2 and 255 lbs. When you put him, my 11 year old, and me in the boat, along with gear and supplies for a 2-3 day stay at our fishing camp (ten mile trip by water), it becomes quite a load. It's still a great boat for just a regular fishing trip for us but as we spend almost every weekend during the summer at the camp, I'll be looking for something with more room with a little bigger motor. <br /><br />Skynyrdmate.......definitely plan on taking that boating course. Most states require it and in most states it can be taken online. My 17 year old is taking it now as down here he cannot operate the boat without me being in it with him. It's a fairly costly fine to be caught operating a boat without one, much less having an accident because of lack of knowledge, which may cost you more than just your money.<br /><br />As I said earlier, I wouldn't wait until spring but would start looking before then. I am looking every day at classifieds, etc., as this time of the year, December, January, and February, are usually the best times to find good deals.<br /><br />As far as how long do they last? That all depends on how well things are maintained and cared for by the previous owner(s). When boats, motors, and other related items are taken care of properly, they can last a very, very, long time.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Before you jump for the Bayliner go th the red search at the top of the page and enter "bayliner" as a search argument & read away.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by SoLittle:<br /> Before you jump for the Bayliner go th the red search at the top of the page and enter "bayliner" as a search argument & read away.
Ayuh,...............<br />Or,...... You Might try,......."Bilgeliner"................... :D :D

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />
Ayuh,...............<br />Or,...... You Might try,......."Bilgeliner"................... :D :D [/QB][/quote]<br /><br /><br />You searched for keywords: 'bilgeliner' | 46 matches found ;)

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys, when I was your age (God, I hate saying that), my brothers and I were able to scrounge up a hull (17' batboat looking thing) a motor (50hp evinrude) and misc. parts and pieces. We even had a friend who lived on the nearby lake who let us beach it in his back yard (much to the delight of his parents I am sure). We had two great summers out of that rig. I think we paid maybe $300 for the whole shebang.<br /><br />What we did was go around the neighborhoods looking for boats that obviously had not moved in a while. We would ring the bell and ask if it was for sale. It did not take long to find the batboat but the motor was too far gone for us to fix. Using the same technique, we found a very badly abused hull and motor but the motor mostly ran. We got them both to the house, swap the motors (I mean we knew very little about what we were doing), hauled the bad boat and motor to the dump (ended up giving it to some guy that worked there) and spent the spring getting the boat and motor in useable shape.<br /><br />She was not pretty, ran most of the time. Took us fishing and could pull a tube and us kids skiing. Like I said, two great summers and we were able to pay for it ourselves by mowing yards and doing chores.<br /><br />Keep looking. Talk to your friends and neighbors. Good luck and have fun!

rwidman

Lieutenant

You may be able to find a boat that the owner will give you just for hauling it away. Of course, it will need some work. ;) <br /><br />Drive around the outskirts of town or in semi-rural areas. Also, check the "giveaway adds" in the local papers.