What's a Good Battery Indicator

cadroncreek

Cadet
I have a 14 ft flatbottom with a T34 trolling motor. I use it to troll around a large creek close to my house. My question is..is there a battery indicator i can hook up to my marine battery to monitor the performance and it be able to tell me when the battery is about done for the day. Keep in mind it would be something that connects directly to the battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's a Good Battery Indicator

There are lots of battery condition meters on the market and they are generally calibrated with a green area for "good", yellow area for "be thinking about quitting" and red for "ok I'm toast". However, they are nothing more than an overpriced voltmeter. So buy any voltmeter you happen to fancy -- just like the one you likely have on the console of your boat.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I agree with ST but get a good one that is easy to read between 11 and 13V. Here is what you are looking for.

Attachments

• voltchart1.jpg
    voltchart1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0

mthieme

Captain

There are lots of battery condition meters on the market and they are generally calibrated with a green area for "good", yellow area for "be thinking about quitting" and red for "ok I'm toast". However, they are nothing more than an overpriced voltmeter. So buy any voltmeter you happen to fancy -- just like the one you likely have on the console of your boat.

I had to put one of those on the (electric) golf cart for the wife.
I told her it was the fuel gauge!:)
She's blond.

Shizzy

Ensign

my $100 depth finder has a volt meter built in to it. its wired to the same battery as the trolling motor. I always have my eyes on the finder so I see where im at with the voltage all day.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with ST but get a good one that is easy to read between 11 and 13V. Here is what you are looking for.

BHile is mostly correct, but two possible comments.

1. these are almost certainly for when the trolling motor (and everything else) is off.

2. I believe that some sealed cell types have a slightly different curve than traditional wet (automotive type) cells. (Not certain though...)

TerryMSU