cleaning rust

coolguy147

Commander
well im wanna clean the rust in my tank before i replace the diafram in my pressure tank any ideas on how to

im 13 so please use simple terms and tech em what they mean i read an earlier post about rust in omc tank and some link to a post about getting it out but i dont quite understand it so please rexplain how to would be helpful:confused:

Rick.

Captain
Re: cleaning rust

I tried that method last weekend on a 3 gallon tank that was badly rusted. It did remove a fair amount of the rust but not all. I found that my steel rod that I hooked the positive clamp on required cleaning every 15 minutes. If I didn't clean it the electrolisis action would stop. The rod I used was 3/8 cold roll. I was pretty happy with the results but you will find you need to give it your full attention for a day or more. Perhaps rebar would work better due to a much larger overall surface area. I would strongly advise you to have a wire wheel on your grinder cause you will be cleaning the rust off the rod very often. Rick.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Rick: That small rod will foul very fast, and need frequent cleaning. Any piece of scrap steel you can get down the opening with out touching the tank will work. I once used an old window sash weight that worked very well.

Rick.

Captain

R.Johnson. Thanks for that. Can you tell me about how many hours this de-rusting should take. The rod does foul very fast and once it is fouled with rust the action seems to completely cease. I used soda ash we had left from our treatment of old steam boilers which we no longer have in our inventory. Would soda wash be a better choice. Thanks, Rick. (ps. I know this isn't my thread but I am staying on topic)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Rick: I have had good results with the washing soda, so I just stick with that. Probably lots' of room to experiment here. Depending on how severe the rust is, the tank will not look shiny new inside, but it will be clean. By that I mean, rust will not flake off, and foul the carb. The fresh gas-oil mix will keep it from rusting again. If you could find one, a heavy stainlees steel bar would be ideal, as you could just rinse it off. I leave the charger on over night if need be. I just use a 2-8 amp trickle charger.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I use a stainless steel plate at the bottom of my wash tub for removing rust, what is the problem with it?

coolguy147

Commander

lets hope u dont die of cancer or ur family especially since ur washing in it god man really i do feel bad:(

coolguy147

Commander

ok so far i took my tank cover off cleaned off the old gasket and have a new one coming in and i washed it out with soapy hot water and took a garden hose and scrubbed kinda the outside and washed the inside a little and put upsidedown to dry ovr night.

i think 2moro or monday i will do the battery charger method and hope evrything goes well lol no stainless

coolguy147

Commander

ok im not sure what to hook the negative and positive side of the battery charger too? help

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Negative to the tank, positive to the source of new iron.

You will be generating a little hydrogen, so no flame and keep the area ventilated.

coolguy147

Commander

what do u mean negative to the tank like how r u gonna connect it cause like no metal pieces sticking out so u wanna to connect it the top where the strip of metal goes across?

and positive so u wanna put the connector under water? or like connect that to the piece in which its connected to?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Thought your tank was metal; you said it was rusted.

Go back and read R.Johnson's instructions. You have to have your steel source suspended in the liquid with the positive voltage connected to it. The source metal and the wire that provides the positive voltage cannot touch the tank anywhere.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

coolguy 147: Don't try this at home, in fact! don't try anything at home. This is fur ur oyn gode.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL at R.Johnson! That's pretty funny. I can understand why you feel that way. The kid's spelling, grammar, and use of slang/shorthand is annoying and hard to understand. But, to his credit, he has been working really hard at tuning up this old evinrude: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=274791&highlight=sportwin

Seriously though, coolguy, you do need to type correctly if you want to get answers on this forum.

Rick.

Captain

So I redid the rust removal today and was much happier with the result. I used a battery charger that was putting out about 40 amps. One thing different this time was after finishing and a really good rinse and drain I stuck an air blower gun in the neck and let compresses air blow in it for a good half and hour. Once the tank got dry inside clouts of rust talc started bellowing out and that lasted for quite some time. The tank looked much cleaner inside so I put in some 50:1 mix and swished it to make certain the entire internal area got a good bath of fuel and oil. I did add an in-line fuel filter to the gas line just to make sure but I feel confident this tank will now be fine to use. Thanks to R. Johnson and whoever it was that directed me to his post. Rick.

coolguy147

Commander

ok well today i tried to clean the rust out. well i hooked the negative to the tank and positive to the wires which were connected to a steel bar. i used a kinda rusted bar just to make sure it wasnt stainless steel. well i got a problem my battery charger kinda literally burned my wire like the part that was touching the tank i think was turned to crisp black and literally turned red in liek 1 sec well my battery is like charging at like 10 amps so i put it up to starting mode which i believe is 50 amps once it did that it burned into a crisp thanks god no hydrogen caught on fire. well i continued it on 10 amps and did see rust in the water after i dumped it so 2moro im going to do it again and i didnt really notice much difference. and how much is 4-5 teaspoons i put like 5-6 spoon fulls

anybody ever try to pressure wash there tank? to get rust out i wonder what u gusy think?