Boat Customization - New Project?

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Back in 2003 I had picked up the boat in the pictures below from a friend. I paid too much for it but I saw potential in it and really wanted a boat. After a year of using it, enjoying it and reading the forums here I decided to check the wood in the boat especially because it just felt unstable. It was more then rotten so it was gutted, the stringer replaced, ribs put in, transom done and of course some custom work done. I also managed to fit a power tilt and trim to the '72 Johnson 100hp motor (which I was told couldn't be done).

When I re-did the boat I wanted an interior that was functional for both some fishing and just for cruising around in (kept my ex in mind). Now that after 10 years, she's no longer part of my life and after being out fishing twice this last month with my buddy (and going again Saturday)... the boat has been driving me nuts. With the closed bow and non-opening windshield, it's a bit of a pain getting at the trolling motor. With the mounted pedistals and huge rear deck I had built, there isn't a lot of room. So I started thinking, which can get dangerous at times. I have seen a lot of remarkable things done to boats on this forum and have come to the conclusion that only imagination is the real limit (time and money aside of course). This may be a little lengthy of a post but bear with me.

Here's the current configuration of the boat (done to scale [1" = 2'])...
boat.png

And some real pictures of it to get a grasp of it...

The rear deck and splashwell are both custom. The deck contains storage for tools and such and on the far side in this first picture is where the battery goes...
IMG00009.jpg

Battery compartment side...
IMG00010.jpg

Under the dash is a built in 19 gallon gas tank...
IMG00011.jpg

Hard to get at trolling motor...
IMG00012.jpg

IMG00013.jpg

Last edited:

SuzukiChopper

Re: Boat Customization - New Project?

Now my plan...

I want to turn this into a center console boat. I want to eliminate the deck that I built and basically have the area beside and in front of the splashwell open. Beside the splashwell in the open areas I will have a place for the battery and a place for storage, but they will be WAY shallower of boxes (doesn't NEED to be as high as it is). I will also switch to removable pedestal seats, that way I have a pretty unlimited configuration. I want to eliminate the dash that is there and build a bow deck that sits about 2" below the gunwhale. There will have to be steps up to it but they will act either as extra storage or trolling motor battery spots. One will also act as a way to hide wiring and cabling that runs to the stern for the motor. I will also be wanting to put a live well right in front of the console as well. Finally a storage locker in the floor that will actually have two opposing doors rather then one large one. Along either side I also want to create fishing rod lockers as well as additional storage. The carpet will get tossed and the inside will get painted. I want this to be a fishing boat but still something I can take people out on for a cruise.

Two questions... is it more comfortable to stand behind a center console or have a seat to sit on? This will help determine how tall I make it. Second, am I losing my mind wanting to do this?

Here's a drawing of my plan (done to scale [1" = 1'])
boat-center-console.png

Finally... how do you fix this? It's all over the hull... grind it down, fair and then paint?? or??
IMG00015.jpg

Thanks guys, I enjoy coming here every single day and now maybe I can contribute if I can get this project off the ground.

SuzukiChopper

Apparently Picasa doesn't work so well... let me upload these pictures to Photobucket.

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gettin nothing but Red X's...but if i copy and paste your picasa web addy in my browser i can see all your pics

oops!

Supreme Mariner

your good for pics now......(i hate the dredded red x )

ok......because youve allready done a complete resto on the boat.....you allready know..........its easyer and cheaper to go buy a cc boat like a whaler and be done with it.....

BUT>>>>> if you want a project...and the peace and fun it brings....go for it !

the cracks in the gellcoat are called crazing......and there a pita......treat each crack as a single gellcoat repair. " v " the crack and fill with colored gellcoat....(a real pain to match) of fill with marine tex.....but i think a full paint job is in order.....if you fill with marine tex or a gellcoat it will look like a zebra. :D....so paint is probably in your future

cheers bud
oops

SuzukiChopper

Center console boats here are very far and few between and besides I always like having something unique that I've built. I got a pretty big ego boost a couple weekends ago when my friends BIL laughed at the boat and was worried about it, but after he saw it on the water was blown away :D

If there isn't anything but time and money to worry about with my plan then I'm going to go further with the planning and maybe start building some of it so I can be prepared.

BTW oops! I come here every single day waiting for updates on your boat, been watching it since your very first post.

jonesg

Admiral

I find it better to stand behind my console, could use a leaning post though.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

BTW oops! I come here every single day waiting for updates on your boat, been watching it since your very first post.

well Queen City kid....;)....you just feel free to jump right in there......
i used to work in regina at a place called celebrations....it was a dinner theater...kind of thing.

as far as your proj goes.......good on you..! :) im looking foward to seeing your progress !

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw......that rookie jordan wheal on the pats....is really kickin some *** !

you guys are in third....but only by a few short points......our rockets got smoked the other night by brandon. :(

SuzukiChopper

btw......that rookie jordan wheal on the pats....is really kickin some *** !

you guys are in third....but only by a few short points......our rockets got smoked the other night by brandon. :(

I'm more interested in how the Riders are going to do ;) Every single time they step on the field it seems we have a new team starting. Some how we're still cranking out wins though.

Hopefully my house either sells so I can finance this project (will have to rent a shop) or I can get back on my feet again and find a job right quick and keep my monster garage to work in ;) Then I can get started on this.

I'm kind of curious though what to expect when I remove the windshield and cut the bow out. Before I start cutting should I support the sides with a couple 2x4's from one side of the boat to the other until I can get the deck shape cut and put into place? Or is there even going to be that much movement? I can't see it folding in on itself but I don't know what kind of strength/support the dash provides? Once the deck is in and glassed it'll be strong and once the steps and console are in even more because they'll all basically become one with the bow deck, boat deck and hull. Just wondering about the initial cuts.

maxum247

Lieutenant

I have 20 foot boat that was a cuddy cabin, after I cut the bow cap and dash area out there was some minor flex in the hull but not alot. Wouldn't hurt to put a couple braces in if you can then you won't have to worry about it.
I sort of felt my way along as I removed the top in sections.
I eventually lowered the hull sides 9 inches because my boat was deep sided being a cuddy cabin boat and cured most of the flex that was in the hull.
Here's a before and after photo.

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0

SuzukiChopper

Dayum, after seeing those pics I'm even more compelled to plow ahead with this. Do you have any other pictures of the inside of the after shots? I'm interested to see what you did. And a question, how wide did you make your console?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I think you'd find a dual console design a better fit for your type of fishing,
they actually have more fishing space than a CC and it's easier to walk around in. A DC would also be a much easier make over than converting to a CC.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Dayum, after seeing those pics I'm even more compelled to plow ahead with this. Do you have any other pictures of the inside of the after shots? I'm interested to see what you did. And a question, how wide did you make your console?
The layout you see in the picture's is the way the floor plan was when the boat was new.
I've added the console in these picture's and cut the seat boxes down that you see sicking out of the hull side next to the center console.

Attachments

• Picture 1148.jpg
    Picture 1148.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 2752.jpg
    Picture 2752.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 1290.jpg
    Picture 1290.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 1083.jpg
    Picture 1083.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

If there isn't anything but time and money to worry about with my plan then I'm going to go further with the planning and maybe start building some of it so I can be prepared.

Attaboy Zuki. That's what I'm talking about.....

SuzukiChopper

ondarvr said:
I think you'd find a dual console design a better fit for your type of fishing,
they actually have more fishing space than a CC and it's easier to walk around in. A DC would also be a much easier make over than converting to a CC.

I'll take this into consideration. The vision I have is by no means set in stone and based on your recommendation I think the path I'll go down is to remove the windshield and start by making cuts for a DC first and see where that takes me. We've had freakishly (goolishly :p) nice weather this last week and me and buddy are taking it out fishing tomorrow so I'll be thinking about this project the WHOLE time.

maxum247 said:
The layout you see in the picture's is the way the floor plan was when the boat was new.
I've added the console in these picture's and cut the seat boxes down that you see sicking out of the hull side next to the center console.

Thanks for the extra pictures. Gives me something to visualize.

Woodnaut said:
Attaboy Zuki. That's what I'm talking about.....

:D

maxum247

Lieutenant

The console is 26 inches wide, but I beleive a standard size is 25inches.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I think if it were my project, I'd find another derelict and make that one into your new layout. You've already done the work on this one, it works and doesn't look to bad. Even in SK you should be able to find a similarly sized junker hull somewhere with which you can build up what you want. Try an ad in your local Pennysaver or FreeTrader. Not sure if you have Craigslist in Canada, but keep an eye on that, too. With winter coming someone is bound to have a boat they want out of the driveway...
- Scott

SuzukiChopper

I think if it were my project, I'd find another derelict and make that one into your new layout. You've already done the work on this one, it works and doesn't look to bad. Even in SK you should be able to find a similarly sized junker hull somewhere with which you can build up what you want. Try an ad in your local Pennysaver or FreeTrader. Not sure if you have Craigslist in Canada, but keep an eye on that, too. With winter coming someone is bound to have a boat they want out of the driveway...
- Scott

I would love to be able to do that but economically for me it doesn't work. I already have a structurally sound boat and the only work I have done to it that would change would be the carpet and the rear deck section. The rear deck I built in sections so it will be relatively easy to get rid of and leave what I want back there. This kind of work I enjoy, I don't think I could go through another deck, stringer, transom replacement again though.

It does work as a fishing boat (see: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1890371) but it just isn't very practical for what it's used for and if I can put my own spin on it... then that's what I'm after.