Electric Winch Choices

Salty Tricks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm getting to old to hand crank my 4000lbs. + boat. Any preferences out there for Powerwinch vs Dutton-Lainson or others? Your opinions, experience and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electric Winch Choices

My boat is right around #5500 and I've used a Rule TR42 winch for 5 years now. The unit isn't cheap but it works and it works very well.

I was going to run a cable back from the battery but used a Jump box the first time I used the unit. The jump box worked without a hitch so I never got around to running the wires from the battery.

I get 3-4 uses out of the JB before I have to recharge it. The power pack gets recharged via the 12V courtesy outlet in the back of the Tahoe.

http://www.rule-industries.com/products/winches/electric_winches_4200_series/iid_257/index.htm

Salty Tricks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Certainly more folks have electric winches? Was trying to see what your experiences have been with various brands.

Thanks Dingbat for the Rule suggestion. Indeed it is more pricey than the others but I will consider it.

Tashasdaddy thanks for the link...that does seem like a great way to wire these.

Any other opinions?

mthieme

Captain

I have had a few friends that went the cheap route using Harbor Freight electric winches as the prices are very attractive. In each case, the motors didn't last long - all burned up.
Don't go cheap is the only suggestion I can provide.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Power Winch that is 5 years old now that I have used since day one on my 26'WA boat.
Had to replace the cable once and that's it for repairs or troubles.

reelfishin

Captain

I've had several Power Winch brand winches and all have been ok, but I do prefer to just use a manual winch since its often faster. If you open up a power winch however, there's not much there, the motor is held in place with a radiator hose clamp and it's not much more than a power window motor or small starter motor.
I've not had the opportunity to open up an Dutton-Lainson or other brand. A buddy went the Harbor Freight route and its ok so far, but I wouldn't expect much for $30. I suppose if the motor in that dies, a better one could be retrofitted.
I'm not too fond of the Power Winch cable set up, nor what they charge a for it.
The truck receptacle was over $30, plus the cord, another $20, and two plugs were $15 each. All in all it cost a little over $80 plus tax to mount the winch and wire the truck to power it. They wanted $80 for the install kit and it didn't include the truck end receptacle. The winch was about $179 and didn't come with the wiring kit.

One big down side to having a power winch of any type is that the tow vehicle must be wired to power it, meaning that if you don't use the same vehicle to tow your boat all time, you might have to wire several vehicles or carry a battery along and a spare power cable. I have three trucks which I use to tow my boats, depending on where I launch and which boat. I'd have to wire all three truck, and still if a buddy towed that day, I'd have to rig his truck too or carry a battery. I tried using one of those jump boxes, they don't cut it on the larger winches, only the smaller models. The bigger winches really draw some amperage.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Multi speed manual would be my choice.

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Power Winch is great I could never go back to cranking the winch. People on the ramp are envious! Just size it right and rig it right and give it a little grease once a year and that's it.

edgutgesell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed a Dutton Lainson SA9000 electric winch on my trailer last spring. I bought it from Eastern Marine on-line. Rather than running electric cables from my truck battery, I installed a Group 27 deep cycle battery in a battery box on the trailer tongue. So far this arrangement has worked perfectly. Every third launch/pullout I charge the battery. As a backup, I purchased a set of 20' 4 gauge jumper cables (on the internet) which are just long enough to reach from my truck battery to the battery on the trailer. Next year I plan to set up a solar panel charger to charge the winch battery. My trailer is a roller EZloader and my boat is a 21' Wellcraft which weighs in at about 4500 lbs. The winch is very powerful but it is a little slow on the retrieve. I launch my boat solo often and I am over 71 years old so the electric winch is a must have.

Geek