evinrude 175 slow out of hole

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice
Hi again,
My 175 evinrude has no holeshot! It cranks and idles fine but I have to baby it when I put it in gear. After slowly coming up on plane the boat takes off and has all the power and speed I can handle. Absolutely no top end problems. If I hook it up to a hose I can easily crank it and when I put it in gear I can rev her up safely with no problem. However when I am in the lake and crank up I can rev fine but when I go into gear I bog down and the engine dies. I asked on this forum about this same problem and was given some advice to clean the carbs which I did. I carefully measured everything and put it back as found. I used a depth mic on the needle valves of the carb bodies and set them back as found. I have not tried cranking yet as I wanted to know the correct placement of these needle valves. My service manual reads close down and back out 5 to 6 turns, doing this puts them about where I found them originally. Is this correct? The carbs were actually new and I am wondering if they were set up properly when the motor was rebuilt this past spring. I have tried a new fuel bulb and new plugs. someone even suggested that I might be trying to take off with the motor tucked too far under ? I was used to fuel injection so maybe I the driver could be the problem. Looking for ideas ...PS this problem was not always there. It ran great this past spring, I have the holeshot problem only in the last 5 or 6 trips on the water and it is intermittent. Thanks, Darren

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 175 slow out of hole

Check to see if the timer base (starboard side, under the edge of the flywheel, linked to the throttle lever) moves smoothly without sticking when you advance the throttle. Then take the airbox cover off & observe whether the throttle plates are parallel. Also, the timer base should start it's travel before the throttle plates start to open, otherwise the old girl will puke when you give her the juice.

blue_streak

Cadet
Re: evinrude 175 slow out of hole

what year and model#? does the motor bog down as you advance the throttle? if it does, try the choke button and see if that helps. you could try trimming up a little before you take off as well.

describe exactly how it acts as you take off.