How To: Secure Quicksilver Commander Throttle

BrainShkr

Recruit
My 1984 Sea Ray has a standard Commander with the neutral push button at the base, trailer button, then the trim button. At the top, the handle has a trigger to pull in to take it out of neutral. I can not find any diagrams that show how to tighten the assembly. The throttle lever is loose, but works fine. I see a screw at the bottom of the lever that goes up and in. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Commander.jpg
    Commander.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How To: Secure Quicksilver Commander Throttle

Thanks Don, You seem to have all the information!! I posted a picture of this a couple weeks ago with NO help. I have been searching all over the internet for parts for this control

BrainShkr

Recruit

Hello Don,
Thank you for the response. Do you know how to find a kit or parts for this unit?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You may get lucky finding parts for it... but more than likely your going to have to replace the controller.

BrainShkr

Recruit

CaptJason -
My craft is a classic in new condition, so she very special. I am hesitant to replace the 'classic' throttle controller with something rubber and molded. The real wood wheel would clash with something so cheap. Would you suggest trying to find a like replacement controller, or suggest a newer one that looks 'classic'?

Since she is tried and true, with the very standard 5.7/260 with only a few hours, I will be able to stay in front of any concerns.

Yaughting is a rich mans hobby. I am meerly playing on the lake. Safety is my first concern.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

What can I say... it's an old controller. There is a plethora of both factory and aftermarket controlloers you can choose from.
you can put the trim selector switch anywhere.... even it its toggles on the helm.
If you were to order a new controll box. I could make you a handle out of solid wood. Stained and poly'd to the color of your choice. I could even put put the trim buttons in the handle if you wanted. It all comes down to money. Do you want to spend 300 bucks on a box, and another 3 to 5 on a custom handle. You could be a millionaire... I don't know. All I was saying is a controller that old.... it's going to be hard to find replacement internals.

BrainShkr

Recruit

IT appears that the set screw is totally missing. Anyone have a suggestion on how to find that set screw???