any info on this 1998 25hp evinrude would be great!

jay42782

Seaman Apprentice
i just picked up this unit.its a 1998 25hp evinrude model#E25RECB.she has about 40 hours on it.she has been in the family for some time now.i have never owned an outboard this new so im not sure what things to pay attention to.not sure if they are higher maintenance then good but older motors?fuel mixture?good oils for fuel,and lower unit?also what would the value be on something like this? thanks as always!

jbjennings

Captain
Re: any info on this 1998 25hp evinrude would be great!

Super good motor. I have a '99 model. That motor is practically brand new with 40 hrs. , but low hours means it's been sitting for long periods of time. I'd put a water pump impeller in it, change the fuel lines (being very careful you don't break the fuel line nipple off the plastic primer body), and clean the carb. If it runs nice, you might not even worry about the carb. I'd also clean your fuel tank if it's not new and get a new fuel hose and primer bulb. It uses 50:1 fuel/oil mix. Any good TCW-III oil that's certified my the nat'l outbard motor manufacturers (or whatever it's called) is probably fine. I've used walmart supertech and pennzoil with no ill effects. I'd say it's worth anyhwhere from 750 to 1500 dollars, according to condition. With only 40 hours, if it looks like it's been taken care of I'd say the top end of that.
Marine 80W-90 lower unit lube oil is fine. I'd try to get the marine kind because if you get any water in the lower unit it will help keep it from ruining your bearings because it mixes with the water better.
It's got a lot of power so I hope you have it on a good stable boat with a good transom. 12 foot isn't big enough!:)
JBJ

jay42782

Seaman Apprentice
Re: any info on this 1998 25hp evinrude would be great!

Super good motor. I have a '99 model. That motor is practically brand new with 40 hrs. , but low hours means it's been sitting for long periods of time. I'd put a water pump impeller in it, change the fuel lines (being very careful you don't break the fuel line nipple off the plastic primer body), and clean the carb. If it runs nice, you might not even worry about the carb. I'd also clean your fuel tank if it's not new and get a new fuel hose and primer bulb. It uses 50:1 fuel/oil mix. Any good TCW-III oil that's certified my the nat'l outbard motor manufacturers (or whatever it's called) is probably fine. I've used walmart supertech and pennzoil with no ill effects. I'd say it's worth anyhwhere from 750 to 1500 dollars, according to condition. With only 40 hours, if it looks like it's been taken care of I'd say the top end of that.
Marine 80W-90 lower unit lube oil is fine. I'd try to get the marine kind because if you get any water in the lower unit it will help keep it from ruining your bearings because it mixes with the water better.
It's got a lot of power so I hope you have it on a good stable boat with a good transom. 12 foot isn't big enough!:)
JBJ

thanks jbj!
well i took it out today with my boys to see how it performed.exellent!.i have it mounted on a 1648 and it does great!.thank you for the info.greatly appreciated!happy boating!