starting merc 90hp 3cyl without a choke

phatmanmike

Captain
hello.<br />1989 merc 90hp 3 cylinder( the one with the crappy idle)<br />this motor has no choke. never did. never even came with one. how in eck is there an easier way to start the darned thing .<br /><br />its fine after its been running, but it takes a few minutes, yes minutes, to get her started after sitting for a day or two<br /><br />i just squueze the bulb hard, and raise the idle lever a bit and start starting......<br /><br />am i missing sumthing, or is this why these motors werent that popular?!?<br /><br />out<br />mikey

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: starting merc 90hp 3cyl without a choke

How does that not have a choke? Does your key push in like it has one? Maby you are missing it. I thought mine didn't have one but it was only that I couldn't hear it because I was used to my old Chrysler that made a loud clicking noise when I engaged it. Try pushing in on the key all the way when you are cranking.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Certainly it has a choke, unless someone pulled it's actuator off. A darn lawnmower has a choke. There is no way that Merc. doesn't. You either need to find how to actuate it, or replace the missing parts.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what they say. it had it from the factory.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> let me expand. some of the mercs had an enrichment solinoid. not an actual choke butterfly. either way it left the factory with a cold start enrichment device.

phatmanmike

Captain

rodbolt, you the man.<br /><br />after reading your post, i looked at the the big hammer website, and noticed it does have an "enrichment selenoid".<br /><br />i went outside just now and pushed the key and the selenoid clicked.<br /><br />so how do i use this thing? does it squirt fuel behind the carb, or does it redirect it somehwere?<br /><br />im sorry, this is my newest motor i have owned. my last was a 76 1150. day and night difference

emckelvy

Commander

The Primer squirts fuel into the motor, and should provide Instant lite-off. I do know that my skiing buddy had problems starting his 90-3, and he said the best 'drill' he found to get it to lite off easily was to be sure to push the key in before he went to the 'start' position.<br /><br />Seems like if you start cranking the motor then push the key in to make the primer go, there may not be enough voltage to make the primer open. But if the priming solenoid's already actuated before going to the 'start' position, it will stay open.<br /><br />Anyway, that's an easy enough thing to try. BTW do you realize that the primer has a 'manual prime' position??? If you open the knurled brass knob on the primer, it'll send fuel directly thru.<br /><br />Another thing you can do is disconnect the line from the 'discharge' side of the priming valve/solenoid, then open the manual knob to see if fuel comes out. Of course, you must pump the bulb up hard to generate sufficient pressure for this test. Don't recommend cranking the engine over to do this, you'll have fuel spraying all over the place!!!!<br /><br />If the valve works manually, next place the key to the 'ON' position only and press in. The primer solenoid should 'kick' in and fuel should flow.<br /><br />Beyond that, check the hoses leading from the primer to the engine for obstructions. You should be able to blow freely into them.<br /><br />That should just about do it, HTH and see what happens............ed

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They don't come with a butterfly choke. It has a fuel enrichment valve locatated on the port side of the carberators. Turn the key on, push the key in, you should hear a click under the cowling. That is the enrichment valve engaging. Hold the key in and turn it to start. When it starts, it will start, release the key. Also try having your control in high idle position. The enrichment valve allows more fuel to the cylinders for starting. The same thing a butterfly choke does.It also doesn't hurt to give that bulb an extra squeeze or two when it is hard.

DHPMARINE

Captain

To start your engine... squeeze the bulb,give it a bit of fast idle....crank it over while you push the key in.Nothing happens unless the key is pushed in AND the engine is cranking.<br /><br />DHP<br /><br />well actually a valve opens,but that's all till you crank