Internet Connection?

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im curently using a cable internet connection. I wonte say with who (earthlink) But my ISP has really droped the ball lately. Just this past weekend my mail box crashed.:eek: Well, with my ISP's great help. Every old email in had is gone. :mad::mad: Just like that. But they thought is was good that they recovered my address book.
So, Im looking at switching to DSL. Right now with my cable Im running at 2444kbps download and 493 upload kbps. Thats about average. To me that seems a bit slow for cable.. But everything loads with a click.
But with DSL Ill be around 6.0 mbps download and 768kbps. Witch is much faster.
Who here has cable and/or DSL and what do you think?

rndn

Commander
Re: Internet Connection?

I have DSL because that is my only choice. Around here cable speeds trump DSL any day.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

I have Roadrunner cable at home and it is faster than my offices T1 line. I also have Everest as another option.

You may want to look into an aircard from a cell phone provider. They appear to be a bit pricer, but you can take it any where.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i have dsl and i love it but i had dial up before so this is a major improvement :D

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I prefer cable. Your speeds are similar to the speeds I got about 4 yrs ago. I'm d/l'ing at near 7m. I was with Comcast on the west coast (OR WA), and got 12m average before moving. With roadrunner now, and well, it's ok.

Oh, I'd really recommend using a yahoo, msn, gmail etc. for your email. You can take it with you (from provider to provider), and you won't lose any of your stuff.

zach103

Commander

we have comcast at home. i like it. but our neighbor 2 houses down cant get it due to some location crap.. you gotta see whats available in your area

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm using comcast, and mozilla firefox. rarely ever have a problem. also have vista which i am finally mastering.

xtraham

Lieutenant

I have verizon DSL and have had nothing but problems with since it's install a few years ago, I get disconnected on an average of about once every 20 min's for about 2-3 min's. I've had the repair folks here about 5-6 times and they can't find the problem, in fact one was here this morning because I could not stay connected for more than a couple min's yesterday all day, I have replaced ALL the in home wiring about 3 times and do not even use my home phone any longer because it was a given that if I did get a call or make a call the internet would drop out (I have the filters on the phones), but when it works it works good.. here's my results
http://www.speedtest.net/result/343199452.png

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here are mine. I'm paying for the 1.5m.
I assume your paying for the 3.0m?
Your download is twice what mine is, as it should be but your upload is half of mine.:confused:

xtraham

Lieutenant

I've been disconnected 3 times since that above post :mad:

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

These #s all look about average. Thing to remember is DSL is more of a fixed solution (connection between you and the central office) Range of distance affects the quality and throughput (DSL outer limits are about 3 miles from your house to the central office)

With cable, it shared media. While its a set speed, reality of it all is the more people in your area on cable, the more contention for bandwidth. However, with the infrastructure in place today, this is not usually noticed.

You can buy everything from the lite services on DSL/Cable starting at 128Kbps (double that of dialup) up to whatever your wallet will allow. Its pretty consistent.

Here's my test results...
343223483.png

:eek::eek:This is not from home (would be nice), did it from work:eek::eek:

xtraham

Lieutenant

Have you any other alternatives then your current IP?
Possibly cable maybe?

I'd be a little teed off too.
yes, comcast. But I've asked others in the area how they like comcast cable and most have similar problems as I have and have switched to verizon, I just got disconnected again while typing this :mad:
unbelievable huh? I just minimized the page and waited for it to reconnect

Pierutrus

OK Nelson, now I'm really really really really jealous. :(

Pierutrus

yes, comcast. But I've asked others in the area how they like comcast cable and most have similar problems as I have and have switched to verizon, I just got disconnected again while typing this :mad:
unbelievable huh? I just minimized the page and waited for it to reconnect

Do you know of other verizon DSL customer's in your area having the same issue as yours?

xtraham

Lieutenant

Do you know of other verizon DSL customer's in your area having the same issue as yours?
no, most I've talked to are very happy with verizon DSL, I've even replaced the modem, I think they have a bad wire somewhere between my house and where ever it goes, 1 tech, said he found a corroded pair and swapped them out for a good pair a couple blocks away and it worked great for about 2 weeks, then started the same thing again, I's much worse if it's windy or raining, and all the wires here are in the air, not underground

Pierutrus

Well xtraham, all I can suggest is for you to keep on them. They'll eventually find it. Hopefully you'll have some of your hair left when they do.
I had a similar problem with a second phone line to my house.
Had a bunch of noise on it. It took the 8th guy that came out to find the problem. Let me note that he was in his 50's and had been with the company for over 25 years. It took him all afternoon and when he came back to my house, he said he traced the pair back through 3 interconnect boxes and finally found the problem. Another house 3 miles away was tied onto my line (it was they're secondary pair which was not in use and was corroding underground), he disconnected them off my line and problem fixed.
Sorry to ramble on, but I hope you see what I'm saying.
Keep being the squeaky wheel and you will get some oil.;)

Good luck for a speedier resolution.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres where Im at right now with my cable. Att tells me I should be hooked up tommorow for DSL.