Weight loss help

zach103

Commander
Not sure if this is suppose to be in the other thread but ill try here.

Im looking for something to help get rid of my gut.. i go to the gym every day when at school than when im home im always moving . especially during leave season. than 4 hours of football every sunday.. for the past couple weeks ive been eating healthier and lighter. .

last year i tried getting rid of the gut and man boobs by doing tons of sit ups and push ups etc.. for a long time and that didn't seem to work at all..

so does anyone know anything that would help that i can take.. i see that alli thing all the time but i think thats just for girls ( could be wrong).

anyone try anything?

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Weight loss help

well i don't know what your situation is but a couple years ago i steped up on a scale and it said 265 that is the heavyest i ever was (i'm 6'2" btw) i stopped eating lunch (i never really eat breakfast) and i lost 30 lbs (i know this is not a recomended way but it worked for me) but now i'm stuck at 235 i want to get back to what i weighed at my wedding 205

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh yeah try cutting out pop and energy drinks and drink more water

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

My wife is a personal trainer, and she strongly recommends the treadmill. Doing the sit-ups etc. will build muscle, but not work off fat. Any cardio about 4x a week for 30 minutes will help also. She also recommends cutting back on carbs. That's a start for ya, good luck!

zach103

Commander

ask her about the bike machines they have at the gym. those good too?

MrBossman

Banned

You didnt say your age. Its harder to lose as you get older(past 50) . the secret I found is to reduce you fat grams. Count them now and reduce that number by 75% and your body will start to burn body fat and the weight will quickly start coming off. Also be sure to drink plenty of water to help the process and always count the fats before you eat them. Find substitutes to fill up on to fight hunger. I ate lots of pickles. vegetables and low sugar foods.

zach103

Commander

ahah im not 50 lol 19. i have no really way to count the grams cuz i eat at the cafe 4 days out of the week. but ill do that at home..

i386

Captain

Eat a proper diet and add Cardio to your workout. You need to get your heart rate up to around 110-120bpm and keep it there for as long as you can stand it then push for a little more. Your body will burn fat during this period. The push through the pain part strengthens your heart and lungs enabling you to be able to run further.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when is was 30 i weighed 205, cut out all fried food, majority of bread, fast food. took my lunch, a lot of broiled fish, and veggies. wanted to get to 150, it changed my habits, and metabolism so much, that i got to 150, and keep going, got to 135, which was too much, took 6 months to get back to 150. i stayed there for 20 years.

scipper77

Commander

The following are good adjustments for anyone to make to there diet, and they are not so restrictive that there is a major risk of going into yo-yo mode.

1. No liquid calories. These calories are way too easy for your body to process and are more likely to be converted to fat as you won't be able to burn as fast as your body converts.

2. No bleached flower. This is kind of the same principal. Heavily processed flower is too easy for your body to process. Whole wheat is much better.

3. No fried food. There is just too much added fat in fried food to justify it when trying to stay healthy.

4. Eat only one portion per meal. Sounds simple but how many of us eat two portions at dinner, or always have that extra piece of pie.

Combine this with exercise and you can't go wrong.

P.S. It's easy to find ways to cheat this diet like eating white rice instead of white flower but even when cheating these basic principals (especially no liquid calories) should provide the healthy diet that you want to supplement exercise.

Hope this helps.

mthieme

Captain

Lifestyle change. Diet, exercise, etc. There's no magic bullet.
Or if your lazy, stomach staple.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

ask her about the bike machines they have at the gym. those good too?

She says if you're not obese, the bikes have a minimal benefit. Bikes are good for overweight people cause they put less stress/impact on your knees/legs, but she prefers the elliptical over the bikes. At 19, mix walking and running, and slowly increase the amount of time running, and decrease the amount walking. 5 minutes brisk walk, 1 minute run, then over time go 4:2; 3:3; 2:4; 1:5. Eventually it'll be a solid run. Oh, she wants to know your height & weight. You can PM me if you want.

zach103

Commander

yah i don't mind running at all. i just hate the treadmill . something bout staying the same place for an hour just bores me. i usually run around town. average run is probably a little more than 3 miles. . i love it.. im about 5'8" 170. . like i said im not obese . i have no fat on my legs or arms. it just likes to go right to the gut

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Zack, I'm an exercise physiologist. Here is the breakdown for you: calories in minus calories out. Body fat is strickly that, doesn't matter whether you are getting 400 calories from a piece of fried chicken or from a monster serving of vegetables. Granted, if you want to lose weight and be healthy, you need a balanced diet. 1lb of human body fat is 3500 calories. That means for every 3500 calories you take in and don't burn off, your body metabolizes 1 lb of body fat from those ingested calories. Likewise, to lose 1lb of body fat, you are going to have to burn 3500 calories ABOVE what you are currently ingesting. The bottom line: trying to lose your gut and man boobs isn't achieved by doing a ton of crunches or push ups....this is a widespread misconception that you can target fat loss. You cannot. Think about it, if this were true tennis players would have very lean dominant arms, but not on the non dominant arm...but this isn't true. Some things that will help you out are getting to bed early and maintaining a healthy sleeping pattern. To skip the physiology lesson, your body produces hormones that control your satiety(feeling full) levels and when you aren't on a strict sleeping pattern, you put these hormones and the ones that control your metabolism on the fritz. Don't eat after 10pm...try to get to bed by 11...you want to cut down on calories and increase your energy expenditure. I think I saw you ask about Alli...even thought this is approved by the FDA, I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. The active ingredient in this is Orlistat, which is a pancreatic lipase inhibitor...basically it means it blocks your body from being able to absorb fat. This doesn't sound too bad, but where does this liquid unabsorbed fat go if it isn't ingested? Yes, you have to wear dark underwear due to what the FDA labels "oily anal discharge"...it isn't a small side effect that only effects some, no...this is how this product works. Bottom line: skip the Alli. You need to count your calories that you eat...then just make sure to burn more calories working out than you are ingesting. To give you an idea, you need to get 500 calories more working out than you are eating 7 days a week to lost one pound. It is a tough road, but if you are willing to work, you can lose the body fat. Let me know if you have any more questions...I'd be willing to try and help you out if you need it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

lester, excellent advice for all of us. there are also several programs, that call a serving size, the size of a deck of cards. which i have found to be about right. 90% of us overeat. i really would like to see restaurants, do the correct serving size, and reduce the cost of a meal.

we have one locally that does this. it is good quality home style cooking, but you just don't get more than you need. when we pay for a meal, we usually want to eat all of what we paid for. no wonder Americans are obese.

Zach, some of the problem is also Genes, i've always had to fight the belly, and boob problem. do the correct exercises to firm them up, and learn to love yourself.

i agree with lester,

My brother and sister in law are advid marathon runners and its simple math, calories in calories burnt. i was at 231 17 days ago, im on a strict 2000 calories a day, 4 miles @ 3.5 mph on the treadmill 5 days a week (45 minutes to 1 hour) and a little help from Hydroxy cut for appetite surpressant help and im at 220.5 as of 10-22-08.

i believe in the whole carb thing but you can really feel like you are starving and get discouraged. it doesnt matter what you eat on a 2000 calorie diet a day as long as its 2000 and less. youll plateu once in awhile but stick with it, youll relize that you can get by on less than 2000 a day and start saying HEY im doing it. i wont do any other muscle building until i melt the fat off, walking and running burn the same calories, the only difference is it takes longer to walk to burn the same cals. I promise, eat less than 2000 cals a day and walk,walk, walk and you will lose weight, youll lose 10 pounds quickly then slow down, then it will start again, pick up the pace and distance and it will continue.

i use the following site as an aide, it really helps if you ARE aware of what you are eating every day and this site lets you build your own pantry to track your eating habits daily, set weight goals and track them and other things, chedck it out and good luck to you. keep us informed, its like anything in life, if you want it you can have it, but it takes work.

http://www.foodsdatabase.com/

FM

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm also trying to loose weight. First of all I'm 6'3" and at my starting point I was 281lbs. Fast forward 2 months I'm 232 this morning and have an overall goal of 215.

Like Lester said in and out + excersize = loss.

What did I do.

#1 I quit drinking beer. I know this might be sacriledge but it had to be done.

#2 Water.

#3 portion size and choice of food. I never thought I'd be a grazer and half assed vegitarian, but I now am.

#4 excersize. Wether its chopping wood, walking, running or whatever, you have to burn calories.

I was not an overly fat guy at my heaviest. But I do have a 52in chest and the 38's were sreaming for mercy; I just wanted to make a change and stick around for a while.

Lester. Do the BMI index's mean anything; or are they a generalization. Even at 232 my BMI is like 29 I'm already starting to see rib cage and the belly is gone. If I were to get to the "normal range", like 185lbs; I'll be skin and bones.

Mark

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BMI or Body Mass Index is a calculation. It is heavily used from private gyms to cardiac rehad centers. The formula for BMI is kilograms(weight) divided by meters squared(height). As you can tell, a 5' 7" man who is 198lbs, pure muscle..only 10% body fat would have a BMI that would classify him as clinically obese (BMI over 30). There are definitely outliers with BMI, but it is not an unusable system...probably one of the best for categorization when doing research in this area. So to answer you question, yes you could be in the healthy range for BMI (20-25), but if you are tall, following BMI isn't very practical...as you mentioned. If you have access to a facility that does some type of skilled measure of body fat(not skin calipers...too unreliable) you could find out what your body fat is and work off of that. 10-18% body fat is in the "healthy" range for my lab. You would want to get either a DEXA, underwater weighing, or BIA test done....and if you get it done from a physiology lab, it should be accurate. I would use body fat as your measure...also if you are interested in your cardiovascular fitness, you could also schedule a VO2 Max test, which is actually a better indication of health than body fat %, but does cost a little more money.

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Zach, also to lose weight, I totally forgot to mention one very important thing. In order to lose weight, you are honestly going to have to do about 7 miles a day to lose 1 lb a week. Now I know you probably don't have time for that type of commitment, but what you can do is always keep moving. I see the biggest weight loss in people who choose a lifestyle change over a gym commitment. What I mean by this is, always take the stairs, try and walk when you go to the store or ride a bike, don't take your car if possible, play sports with your friends...anything to keep you motivated to burn calories...most clients get burned out about 2 1/2 weeks into running on a treadmill for 1 1/2 hours a day. Think of ways where you can keep moving and it wont' feel like work. Good luck...let us know how its going. Also, it is a lot easier to eat less calories during your day as compared to trying to do extra exercise to burn everything off. Running a mile will burn you about 90 calories...unfortunately you can't trust the calorie counts on gym machines...it is almost all marketing trash. Their is no committee to keep manufacturer's in check for calorie counters, and you can bet they sell a lot more machines when people are under the impression they are burning large amounts of calories. Also zach, if you are near a university or college that has a sport science program, they might be able to do some testing on you for free...a lot of programs right now are doing overweight research studies, and it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck.