• Four Winns H190

Votes: 46 74.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

RKramer

Recruit
Hi,

Buying a new boat. I have a choice of Maxum 1800 vs Four Winns Horizon 190.
Both boats are exactly the same in dimensions, both have same 4.3 L MPI engine.
Maxum has slightly better stereo, more storage and more padding on the inside. Maxum cost $2000 more.

Some say Four Winns has better build quality and possibly bigger maximum capacity weight.

Anyone can comment please?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Maxum or Four Winns?

four winns for sure. if you can get a volvo package even better.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, Four Winns is the better boat. We're buying a H220 Four Winns this fall. Volvo motors are also a good choice but make sure you have a local Volvo dealer, just in case you need service (which is unlikely since it is a Volvo). Otherwise, Merc Cruiser is OK too.

MikDee

Banned

Maxum is just a better built Bayliner that doesn't mean it's bad because the build quality has really improved from what I've heard. It is probably lighter then the better built Four Winns. The Four Winns would be my first choice, but I might be swayed by features an options, and go with the Maxum. Either way, both are fine boats. The Four Winns usually has a deeper vee then most boats it's size, which might make for a bit smoother ride.

tashasdaddy

Volvo and Mercruiser are offered in the 4 winns, mercruiser only in the Maxum.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have checked out both at boat shows and like them both a lot. Maxum and bayliner may share designs, but Maxum build materials are much better so the "dressed up bayliner" tag means nothing negative.

Easy choice if it were me.....I'd take the family for a good, full load test drive in each and buy the one I liked the ride of and enjoyed driving most. You may likely have very different rides qualities, maybe with the Maxum being faster and more agile and the Four Winns being smoother and more solid (just a guess for both, btw).

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Go with the higher quality construction. Pretty easy to upgrade the stereo and even the 'padding'. Not so easy to upgrade the hull.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sea trail them both, I think you will like the four winns better. Go with VP for sure.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I?d prefer the VEC process construction of the Four Winns. Absolutely no chance of structural rot in ten or twenty years, though on the other hand, impossible to repair structural hull damage such as impact with submerged rock or stump. The Maxum has composite stringers, but no mention of transom construction materials from their website. Wood maybe? Wood?s fine in transoms as long as water never finds a way in, but it eventually does in many boats.

tashasdaddy

you also have to consider maxum and bayliner are Brunswick companies, which has close somewhere near 30 plants in the last 9 months.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go with the Four Winns. This is my second. The Maxum's look nice, and I have heard from many in the boating arena that Bayliner has improved it's build process/quality, however, I believe the Winns to be the better choice.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you also have to consider maxum and bayliner are Brunswick companies, which has close somewhere near 30 plants in the last 9 months.

Not sure why that matters,regardless of how many plants close, both boats are high manufacture boats..there are tons of used max's & 'liners out there so parts will never be an issue.

tashasdaddy

warranty may be. read the brunswick update thread.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Agree with the take it for a ride crowd, would you buy your car based on the pictures from a magazine or just looking at the one on the floor?

Also, I am offering another vote for the VP. The SX is fine in a small boat, but if you can get the DP you will never regret it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I just checked, it is SX and alpha only, no DP. Still in the long run I think you will be happier with the volvo drive.

loosechange

Cadet

can't realy address the newer modle four winns but I own a 1988 vista and when I have had questions I have called the factory and gotten engineers and design people on the phone to answer my questions. they have also shipped me small hard to find parts for free! now thats customer service!!
my .02 worth

cbavier

Lieutenant

My vote is for the Four Winns. See my Avatar. 1986 with 650 some hours on the hour meter and still going strong 4.3 with Alpha one. The Four Winns is heavy but the ride and handling is great. the factory as stated is quick and eager to support it's customers.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

To me storeage is everything on a boat. You can never have enough of it. I would go with the maxum