Anybody ever reinforced their inflatable's transom?

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I noticed that with my max hp on my inflatable, I am getting a slight transom bow and was wondering if anybody has ever reinforced their inflatable's transom?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anybody ever reinforced their inflatable's transom?

you need to tell us more info about the boat and the floor type so some one could help you properly deejaycee will be able to tell you how

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It would seem to me that there are two possible issues-
If the transom itself is strong enough, but you want to reduce the strain on the bond at the tubes.
The Zodiac 470 CCRC has web straps from the top of the transom to floorboards Allows for the weight/torque of dual outboards. I had an old Avon in the early 70's and the transom was fully removable from the boat, but was rated for 50hp (way too much as we found out). It had metal braces that screwed into the top of the transom and into the floor to give it support.

The other is if the transom wood itself is not strong enough, like is being discussed on the Saturn X-Boat post.
For flex, you might be able to cut a piece of plywood or metal and secure it to the existing transom to make it more rigid. It might stop the flexing if the wood is the weak link but would not increase the stress on the bond to the tubes.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I noticed that with my max hp on my inflatable, I am getting a slight transom bow and was wondering if anybody has ever reinforced their inflatable's transom?

Just a thought as there is vague posted information, maybe you are not inflating your sib properly to it's working pressure that is 3.5 PSI or 0.25 Bar and the whole transom including the tubes flex a bit when at full throttle, get yourself a manometer and inflate correctly, will perform at it's best.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Pressure Gauge.JPG
    Pressure Gauge.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Hi sea rider where did you get this manometer and does it have another name? thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Hi sea rider where did you get this manometer and does it have another name? thanks

Hi Kandil

The valve adapter is a local adaptation for the pressure gauge, you can buy from : www.defender.com a USA Boating Company that has all what your imagination wants.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|294|88529|320523&id=160466

This a new adapter/gauge, the old ones were not so good reading pressure, as too much air was released on the intent, hope they have better the product. There are also other gauges without valve adapters, in that case you'll need to make one, any other issue not clear simply post.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Gauge.jpg
    Gauge.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Adapter-Gauge.jpg
    Adapter-Gauge.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1

deejaycee_2000

Captain

you can basically take any pressure gauge and just make an adampter to fit it, that is what I have done also, I don't have a pic though .....

You can easily reinforce your transom by either adding a angle bracket on the inside that bolts on to the floor and transom or you can glue a D-hook on to the pontoons on both sides to the front of the transom and then get those adjustable brackets to hold the transom in position via the pontoons, kinda hard to explain ...... but you should not have a problem if your boat is properly inflated.