vibration?

I just recently purchased a 1998 boston whaler 18'ventura with a honda bf90 when doing some watersports like wakeboarding, I noticed a sudden vibration. You could feel it threw the floor of the boat and I thought I may have hit something with the prop so I changed the prop. I am still getting the vibration but it isn't all the time it is only when I throttle into it to get up to speed or I make a sharp turn. Please help if you have any advice. This is my first boat so everything is new to me.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: vibration?

You say that you are new to boating and that you recently purchased this boat. Has the boat been doing this since you purchased it ? I would suggest that you find a fellow boater that has a similar sized and powered boat, to take a run with you and get their opinion. You already did the first thing (changed the prop).

The boat didn't do this when I bought it.I had it for about two months using it every weekend. When I changed the prop it lessoned the vibration. I changed the pitch of the prop. I think the original prop was a 15 I changed it to a 13 because when reading about towing water skiers it said you could help with better accelaration. Do you think the prop is trying to move faster threw the water than it is able to push the boat? Is this what they call cavitation or ventilation?

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you think the prop is trying to move faster threw the water than it is able to push the boat? Is this what they call cavitation or ventilation?

It sounds like the motor isnt down enough. Sounds like air is introduced to the prop.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get someone experienced to go with you, it could be as simple as wave ripple vibrating the boat, or as bad as a bent prop, or prop shaft.

get someone experienced to go with you, it could be as simple as wave ripple vibrating the boat, or as bad as a bent prop, or prop shaft.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will take it to the local dealer where I bought it.