1980 Evinrude 4hp

jerpreach

Recruit
I had a strange situation out on the lake. My 4hp motor was running fine then suddenly started running very rough for a few seconds. Then it made a hard mechanical 'clink' sound with a sudden motor stop. I tried to pull the starter cord but the motor was locked up. I took the cover off and tried to manually turn the fly wheel but it wouldn't move so I grabbed the fly wheel with both hands and 'rocked' it quickly back and forth. It gradually loosened up then finally let go. It felt like a mechanical part released. I turned the flywheel a couple of times then pulled the starter cord and it fired right up. It runs fine but seems to have a little less power than before at high throttle.

Any ideas?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1980 Evinrude 4hp

Broken piston ring. Small piece escaped and jammed the piston. You eventually released it and it fell down the exhaust. You now have a broken ring, a badly damaged piston, and damage to the bore as well probably. Compression will be very low if you test it.

Well you said any ideas

jerpreach

Recruit

Broken piston ring. Small piece escaped and jammed the piston. You eventually released it and it fell down the exhaust. You now have a broken ring, a badly damaged piston, and damage to the bore as well probably. Compression will be very low if you test it.

Well you said any ideas
Any ideas about what could have caused it?

jerpreach

Recruit

Thanks for the tip. I've had this motor out on the lake quite a few times since then running it all day. What would be some other symptoms of this problem?