Shrimp Festival in Golconda, IL Sept 20th *updated with pics from the trip*

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Anybody boating to the shrimp fest in Golconda? A friend told me about this, I guess every year it gets bigger and bigger. About 50 boats are suppose to be boating from the Evansville area to Golconda, from what I understand they leave about 11 or 12, boat down stream, walk into town, eat some shrimp or whatever and then spend the night on the boats.

I'm doing it a little different, I'm leaving Mt. Vernon, IN at 9:30 with about 5 other boats. I'm also coming home the same day (since I don't have a cuddy cabin). I think its about 70 miles from Mt Vernon to Golconda, so its going to be a long day!

Any takers?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Shrimp Festival in Golconda, IL Sept 20th

Shrimp in Indiana ?????? is this like Christmas in July, or am i missing something?

TilliamWe

Banned

marine4003, the shrimp is actually in Illinois. Weirder still!

If I didn't live about as far away from there as possible, I'd be in. 70 mile boat trip on the Ohio River would be fun. I've not been on that part of the Ohio before. Do you have a lock to go through?

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

marine4003, the shrimp is actually in Illinois. Weirder still!

If I didn't live about as far away from there as possible, I'd be in. 70 mile boat trip on the Ohio River would be fun. I've not been on that part of the Ohio before. Do you have a lock to go through?

Peoria isn't that far.... come on down.

Yeah, we have to lock thru the Uniontown dam. Its not too far from the Mt Vernon boat ramp.

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

642mx,

Sounds like fun, I just don't know if it will fit into our schedule. It sure would be a nice end of season cruise.

How fast are you planning on cruising on the way to Golconda? What time are you planning on returning to Mt Vernon?

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

642mx,

Sounds like fun, I just don't know if it will fit into our schedule. It sure would be a nice end of season cruise.

How fast are you planning on cruising on the way to Golconda? What time are you planning on returning to Mt Vernon?

I'm thinking the same thing, it might be the last weekend to go boating.

We will probably cruise about 30-35. (30 is about the best speed for me) Any faster than that, and my secondaries will open and I won't be able to make it on gas. We'll probably stop a few times on the way to let the out-drives cool off and socialize.

We'll probably head for home about 3 or 3:30 so we will be back at the dock by dark.

So far we've had some changes in who is going. Its the wife and I, in our 180 Islander, a friend and his wife with a 242 Islander and another buddy that may bring his family and they have a 21 ft Sea-Ray.

Your more than welcome to join us. We are not hard core party people, but love to have a good time.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Only a few more days!

slia67, are you coming?

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, but I don't think we're going to be able to make it. But man it sure sounds like a good time, we're jsut too stinkin' busy.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Thats cool...maybe next year? I'll take plenty of pictures!

TilliamWe

Banned

I should have come down there. The Illinois River is closed to pleasure boaters due to flooding for at least a week!

Hope you are having a good, safe time!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

What an awesome run! We just got back. I'm too tired to load pics tonight. We went 142 miles and used a little over 32 gallons of gas. The food was horrible, but it was fun. 3 boats went, we cruised about 35 on the way to Golconda, and cruised about 45 on the way home. I'm tired, my wife is tired and I'm sure the boats tired.... :p

Since the boat is still hooked to the truck, we are going back on the Ohio tomorrow.... :D

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I just got back from the Ohio.......again. Burned another tank of gas and spent about 6 hours on the water today. :D

Here are some pics from Saturdays adventure:

Mt. Vernon boat ramp (we launched here)

shrimpfest002.jpg
[/IMG]

Cruising down the Ohio

shrimpfest009.jpg
[/IMG]

Barn on a stick... not sure what its there for, but we took a picture anyway.

shrimpfest014.jpg
[/IMG]

Uniontown dam.

shrimpfest016.jpg
[/IMG]

shrimpfest023.jpg
[/IMG]

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

More of the Dam...

This my buddy Bret and his family...

shrimpfest025.jpg
[/IMG]

This is my other buddy Matt...

shrimpfest028.jpg
[/IMG]

Matt in front of the Shawneetown bridge..

shrimpfest046.jpg
[/IMG]

Another of Bret and his Sea Ray..

shrimpfest064.jpg
[/IMG]

Cave In Rock, IL... this is the cave in the rock...lol.

shrimpfest079.jpg
[/IMG]

My wife sitting still pretending its 90 degrees.

shrimpfest085.jpg
[/IMG]

TilliamWe

Banned

We went 142 miles and used a little over 32 gallons of gas... 3 boats went, we cruised about 35 on the way to Golconda, and cruised about 45 on the way home. :D

You averaged over 4 miles per gallon, even going 45mph against the current of the Ohio River??????

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Here is Matt chasing my little ole V6 powered boat down with his 242 Islander thats powered by a 496 BBC. Its amazing how equal the boats really are. Mine takes off harder and he can run about 5 mph faster than me. :cool:

shrimpfest094.jpg
[/IMG]

These guys passed us on the way home.

shrimpfest084.jpg
[/IMG]

All in all, it was a good time. I'll be back next year, hopefully it will be a little warmer.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

You averaged over 4 miles per gallon, even going 45mph against the current of the Ohio River??????

Yeah, it was crazy. There wasn't much current, but the wind was blowing pretty good most of the day. We pumped 16.4 gallons at Golconda Marina, and actually pumped 16.2 gallons when we got back home. It got better mileage running it harder....?.. Sounds crazy, but its true.