help , FLYWHEEL any ideas

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, merc 200 20 hp 1973 trying to remove flywheel from shaft. Got the nut off and put puller on flywheel and can not get it to budge?? i did remove two 7/16 bolts from the flywheel hub as indicated on the flywheel. (lightening energizer. Got any idea's??? This one seems really tough even tried and 1/2 inch impact on the puller nut and still flywheel did not budge?? would appreciate any help, thanks <br /> ryan

emckelvy

Commander
Re: help , FLYWHEEL any ideas

Try soaking the crank/flywheel interface for a few days with Liquid Wrench or other suitable penetrant; then carefully apply heat with a propane torch to the center of the flywheel. Using an impact it should jar that flywheel loose.<br /><br />As a last resort, grab hold of the puller screw; pull upwards with a lot of force and smack the end of the puller smartly with a 2-1/2-to-5 lb. ball-peen hammer. Be sure you have something on the end of the puller screw to protect it from damage. It's also a good idea to run the flywheel nut down a few threads so that when the flywheel does pop off, it won't go flying across the room or into your head or other body parts!<br /><br />You must pull upwards on the puller when you smack it with the hammer, otherwise you put undue stress on the bearings. <br /><br />HTH & Good Luck........ed

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: help , FLYWHEEL any ideas

A little heat to the flywheel hub can't hurt iether. <br /><br />Not to scare you, but yanno?<br /><br />I once pulled a flywheel on a 115 in Seatle (that came over by barge from Alaskan fishing duty) that I actually snapped the big hardened puller bolt on the first TWO attempts.<br /><br />When it finally came off, it actually took small pieces chunks of the crank with it!! The chunks were from the beveled area directly under the splines. They were as if welded to the inside of the flywheel hub! I also had to get the threads on the end of that crank cleaned up at the machine shop as there was some mushrooming from the force.<br /><br />Now uderstand this was the first (and presumably last) flywheel my old buddy Ssniff had ever seen pulled. He asked me why I'd ever "choose to do this kind of work on volition" after participating in that fiasco. :D <br /><br />-W