Evinrude 48 SPL pulses when on plane

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have had this engine for a while on my 16' Stratos and overall it has run great. I had the carb. cleaned last fall (2007) and it has been doing good until recently. I can run at trolling speeds with no problem, but when I am on plane the engine pulses like it's running out of gas. This doesn't happen all the time, but I would say about 60% of the time. I used to have to pump the bulb and that would help, but recently the bulb became compressed and there was no way to even give it a squeeze. At the same time I made sure the vent was open to allow the vaccum to pull gas, but the bulb was still compressed. I feel like the engine is running great, there just seems to be a delivery problem. I am new to this awesome forum and any information is greatly appreciated.

Re: Evinrude 48 SPL pulses when on plane

Your primer bulb and/or fule line may be sucking air causing it to collapse. If it is old or possibly dry rotted it is cheap to change out.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The ignition could also be cutting in, and out. First! a compression test.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just purchased a new fuel line assembly today. I will replace it as soon as the rain clears. Thanks for the advice and I will keep you posted.

D

DJ

Your engine is leaning out. NOT good.

Your bulb should never collapse. That is a sure sign of a fuel restriction.

If you have a built in fuel tank, I would bet your anti siphon valve is sticking.

That valve is located at the outlet of your tank.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DJ,
My tank is not built in. I use a simple 6 gal. tank with a screw vent at the cap. Can you explain leaning out? The bulb collapses when I am running on plane and it doesn't happen every time. Thanks for the reply - Brett

CATransplant

Admiral

I'm betting your new hose set is going to help a lot. If not, try a different tank. Could be a restriction somewhere in the pickup tube. If this is a plastic tank, they're cheap enough.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The new hose did the trick! Only a $23 fix!!! Thank you all

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Cut the old fuel barb apart, you will probably find a check valve in pieces'.