50hp force problems

mwae

Recruit
i recently purchased a boat with a 50 hp force motor. i've had some minor problems that seem to have escilated into major ones. i think.
i am at a campground where the guys all have boats and do some minor work during the winter. they have told me that i blew a head gasket. water shooting out of the top of the motor. the motor starts but does not continue running. it has spark etc. i took the motor to a small repair shop..this person told me he took a compression check and looked at the motor and said it was trashed. something about "rings" etc. and loose bolts. who do i believe and is it trashed or should i persue another repair sorce? help......

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50hp force problems

if its a simple head gasket why not get a gasket and a manual and do it yourself for less then 50$ and alittle time .. a bad / leaking head gasket can kill the compression .

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You have no way of knowing until you pull the head and inspect it.

mwae

Recruit

ok, i've ordered the mannual. now they are telling me it the cylinders and rings and pistons. is that something that can be taken care of or do i have a 50hp paper weight?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Can be fixed for $300-$1000 if you do most of the work yourself.
Probably $2000 if the shop does it.

Depending on the extent of the damage, it is probably easier and cheaper to replace the motor.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

i think u need to get it back and do your own tests .. tell us what the compression is on both cylinders and we can go from there