Questions on starting

AboveOurRaising

Recruit
First, I have to say it's amazing the amount of help some of you seasoned boaters provide for others. I have learned a lot just from reading through all the posts.

Now I have a couple of what I think will be easy questions to answer :)

I have 2000 Johnson 50hp, 2-stroke with carbs (probably a given, but including it too). I have only had one other boat and that had a old 35hp Seahorse on it, so my experience is limited. Anyway, it seems to be a little hard starting. I just bought it a month ago, and only been on the lake a couple of times. When we test drove it, it fired right up the first time with the previous owner. The first time I tried starting it the day I bought it, I could not get it to start. Then I realized after trying to read the faded face plate on the ignition switch, you press the key in to acivate the electric choke. All seem well as it finally started.

But now it just seems to take a lot to start it. So one question is it necessary to engage the choke with the engine is cold, even though the outside temperature is 80+ degrees? I assume so, since you have to choke most any engine to some extent when it's cold. Second question is when I have been able to get it started, it idles at about 1K RPM and may or may not die a couple of times. The only way I have been able to get around this is to dis-engage the gears, and run the idle up to about 1500 - 2000 rom for about 2 - 3 minutes, then all is well after that. I have been trying to figure out the problem and looked at the fuel bulb last weekend, and gave it a couple of squeezes. It was not real firm and heard it squish several times until I pumped it well. Is this something that I should just do every time I start out when it's cold? I thought the presure should stay built up in the hose. On my other old Seahorse, I always did this each time, but I also disconnected the hose from the portable tank at the end of the day. No problems when the engine has been warmed up in any aspect, just the first time trying to start it after a week.

The gas fresh in the tank, and I have a receipt from the previous owner where spark plugs were installed & lower end serviced in April of last year. I am wondering about also locating the fuel filter if it has one, and just change it out for good measure. The fella I bought it from didn't know anything about boats and only had it for about a year, and all though it appears to have been taken care of, I still want to get all the maintenace up to date.

I know this long, but I like details :)

Thanks,

David

AboveOurRaising

Recruit
Re: Questions on starting

David welcome. this should answer most of your questions.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

Thanks! That answered my questions. I never would have thought about activating the choke by pushing the key in a couple of times until it got warmed up. I thought it just engaged an automatic choke like a car and backed it off automatically as it warmed up.

David