Prop Swap? Need some clarification.

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have two motors, one is an '82 Johnson 9.9 and the other is an '89 Evinrude 15hp. I really like the Johnson more than the Evinrude. Has fewer hours, starts easier, runs better, looks better, overall is a better motor. Problem is, I can barely get my little 12 foot aluminum boat on plane with my 140lb teen daughter in the boat with me. We've played with trim and weight distribution and it's improved a little but not much. On the other hand, my 15hp Evinrude absolutely flies, though I like it less.
To the prop questions...both outboards have new props. By the way, I just bought both motors within the last month and I didn't put either prop on, previous owners did so I don't know brands. Anyway...the Johnson has a 9.5x10, prop has the typical difuser ring and the blades look curved (possibly an OMC prop or maybe Michigan Wheel?), what some guys would describe as "weedless" though I never understood how that shape makes it weedless. The Evinrude is wearing a 9.25x10 prop but instead of a difuser ring, the end of the prop is flared out. Also, the blades are much bigger. (Looks like Solas Amita).

I'm wondering if I swap props, if it'll help my 9.9 gain a little speed and get on plane better. If that prop that's on the 15 has more "bite" because of the bigger blades, if it has slightly more HP because of a possibly larger exhaust and lastly, if I put a hydrofoil on the 9.9, if it'll give the boat a little lift and get me on plane easier.

I need to make a decision and keep one motor and sell the other, I just want to have the best prop on the keeper motor.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Swap? Need some clarification.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Let us know the results when you swap the props. Should be interesting.