Which side for kicker motor

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On which side of the main outboard is a kicker/trolling outboard motor usually placed? I am looking for a period Merc 9.9 for my boat so I can troll around the river inlets. I was thinking it might be better to put it opposite the helm side for weight balance?

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Which side for kicker motor

Port side. That way it doesn't interfere with any of the main motors plumbing, wiring and steering cables and hoses. Plus the weight thing too.;)

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, port side makes sense. I see that link is underwater. I thought I would find a link that would bolt on the tiller and attach to the pivot. That ball joint in the Stearns kit is the exact one that is on my motor from the original steering cable. I didn't think I could find one like it anymore. But it might not matter because the cable needs to be replaced and all I can find is the Teleflex universal rotary cable, and it takes a different coupler style. :(

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, port side makes sense. I see that link is underwater. I thought I would find a link that would bolt on the tiller and attach to the pivot. That ball joint in the Stearns kit is the exact one that is on my motor from the original steering cable. I didn't think I could find one like it anymore. But it might not matter because the cable needs to be replaced and all I can find is the Teleflex universal rotary cable, and it takes a different coupler style. :(

Another option is the EZ Steer. I've been using one for years and it works perfectly. Goes from leg-leg above the waterline. Works when tilted too.

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That EZ steer is a nice rig for sure with the self adjustable link. Quality isn't cheap.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

That EZ steer is a nice rig for sure with the self adjustable link. Quality isn't cheap.

Yes - I was kind of surprised about that. My rig came with a used boat/motor I bought. I didn't realize what I had until I was looking up the parts recently to see if they made a different bracket for an OMC vs. a Merc kicker. I'm going to be more careful with the rod when I take it off from now on!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Port side unless like me you have a swim platform there !!!