Should I use my trim?

Mnemonic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,<br /><br />I always keep my trim on full down, and i get get on plane no problem, and I like to keep the RPM's at about 4000 (Is this good?) and my GPS reports i am going 33mph top speed at 4k.<br /><br />I heard adjusting the trim can help top speed, but i dont have a guage and i dont want to set it too high and mess up my U joints or anything else i read about... <br /><br />Any advice?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Should I use my trim?

Definitely use the trim. First, the trim limit (if operational) will keep you from doing anything damaging and second, the prop will start blowing out (basically grabbing air instead of water) before you get too high also. My guess is that you will pick up around 3 - 4 MPH. You will hear any blow-out and the tach will start to rev up. I would trim up while leaving the throttle alone. You know you have found the most efficient spot when more trim gets you no more speed.<br /><br />Some would say that 4000 is a little high for a cruise speed, but it is well within Merc recommendations. Fuel economy will probably be best between 3000 and 3500 RPM, basically where it just starts to plane efficiently. You should be able to trim up slightly even at those lower speeds, but defintiely start playing with it.<br /><br />I am not positive, but I believe full down is also putting some load on the U-joints. They're just bending the other way . . . Many boaters run there boats trimmed out all of the way at full power for a good portion of the day. Not saying it is right to run your boat that way, but a little positive trim could only help, not hurt anything.

Mnemonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

gotcha... The trim limiter does work, it goes a little high and then stops, i have to use trailer button for anything above that. so you think i should just trim like halfway up and that should be good?<br /><br />How expensive you think it would be to get a trim guage?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Not sure on the gauge. Use ALL of the trim between all the way down and where it stops. Just don't use the Trailer button and you should be OK. This assumes that the trim limit switch is set properly, but I am betting that you'll hear and see things happening before you get to the limit anyway. You're going to like trim. Trust me ;)

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

gauges are nice to look at but they dont know where the sweet spot is for your boat.as quietcat said.run where the engine sounds the least labored.gauge cant help u there.and for trailer-well, all the way up is good.dont need a gauge for that either.bottom line is trim is good for your boat and your wallet.hth

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Mnemonic:<br />I like to keep the RPM's at about 4000 (Is this good?) and my GPS reports i am going 33mph top speed at 4k.
Ya know I just reread this and have a comment now. If you are truly running 4000 at WOT then that is not good. My bet is that your recommended WOT range is 4400 - 4800. I am not positive, but we can get into the exact number later. What should be happeneing is that if it is running correctly, trimmed correctly, bottom is in good shape etc. then it should be hitting somwhere between those numbers when you have the throttle wide open.<br /><br />If you cannot get in that range, then it is not OK to keep it running like that. What you need to do is play with the trim and see what the "new" WOT RPM is. Then this must be compared with the Merc recommendations.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

absolutely, while you're up on plain just tilt the motor up and listen. You can hear when your to high. you'll probably gain 5mph.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Trim down to get on plane. Then just "bump" the trim button up in small increments. If you watch the bow of the boat you will notice it rise ever so slightly and when you hit the sweet spot, you will feel it in the seat of your pants/swimsuit, the tach will rise slightly, and the boat will seem to suddenly pick up 2-4 MPH and just seem to skim effortlessly. Note that trim setting, but also remember that the load you carry and water conditions will require different trim settings. Also be aware that trimming too high will cause the engine to suddenly rev very high with an associated drop in speed. That's due to the prop losing its bite on the water. Trim back down.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Its easy. Get up on plane, and trim out. When the prop loses bite, bump the trim back in until it bites again. If you need to go faster, give more throttle, and bump the trim out. You just have to play with it. And remember, if you are going to do any fairly sharp turns, bump the trim in or the prop can lose bite. You'll know it when it happens. If it does lose bite in a turn, just bump the trim in more until it hooks up. You also want to give a bit more throttle to maintain speed. In the end, just playing with it will teach you volumes....

Mnemonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br />
Originally posted by Mnemonic:<br />I like to keep the RPM's at about 4000 (Is this good?) and my GPS reports i am going 33mph top speed at 4k.
Ya know I just reread this and have a comment now. If you are truly running 4000 at WOT then that is not good. My bet is that your recommended WOT range is 4400 - 4800. I am not positive, but we can get into the exact number later. What should be happeneing is that if it is running correctly, trimmed correctly, bottom is in good shape etc. then it should be hitting somwhere between those numbers when you have the throttle wide open.<br /><br />If you cannot get in that range, then it is not OK to keep it running like that. What you need to do is play with the trim and see what the "new" WOT RPM is. Then this must be compared with the Merc recommendations.
I just keep it around 4k, If i gun the throttle WOT is 4900, but I've only put it there to see what the boat can do...<br /><br />I went out this weekend, and kept the rpm at about 3300, and trimmed up, and didnt lose any bite or anything and i was keeping the same speed as i was with the throttle at 4000, if not more. What a difference as far as gas goes!<br /><br />Thanks for the replies guys, helped out alot!

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've always (always being the total of 4 times Ive taken my boat out since its fairly new to me) left the trim all the way down also. In talking to a friend, I came to realize if I raise the trim somewhat, then I could also get a bigger wake for wakeboarding! Havent tried yet, but definitely will. Unfortunately, since we are not pro wakeboarders (yet!?), its a lot of stop and go which would mean a lot of up and down trim. Hopefully it will be okay if I trim up a some and just leave it at that-- I think the engine has enough power that it should work trimmed up for takeoffs too.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Randyo,<br /><br />Use the trim down to start. This is not really a hassle, so you should get into the habits that JasonJ notes above. Trim in for start and turns trim out for efficiency, speed and wake control. The key is play, play, play.

NYMINUTE

Captain

I raise mine 1/4 when on plane, RPMS rise, a bit more efficient. Also a little safer in low areas.