Stinger Height Differential??

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I decided to ?dry fit? the rear portion of my stringers today and something is bugging me. . . I had to cut the stringers 6", 9 1/2", 10" & 7", from left to right, to achieve level across all four.

I would have thought, in a perfect world, the two outside stringers & the two inside stringers would have been the same size? :confused:

Does it even matter? Am I just being anal? I guess there is no way to verify the boat is sitting on the trailer even, to begin with.

Attached is a picture. By the way, I am rebuilding an 83' ProLine CC, and I owe everything I have accomplished to this point to the people who post on this board - thanks to everyone.

Regards,

James

Attachments

• Rear Stringers Dry Fit.JPG
    Rear Stringers Dry Fit.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 2

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stinger Height Differential??

WoW... Nice Work! Now, thats grabbin' the hull by the stringer...!!:D I need to do some of the same work on my CC, but I plan to wait for until next season... Why?? Cuz I am afraid of what I will find under there... Keep the pics coming!!! Best of luck to you!!
-OP-

oops!

Supreme Mariner

forget the level......you have two other factors there....the trailer and the floor its resting on....

using a stringline from hull/gunwhale joint...(the inside of the chine..to same spot on the other side.....measure from the string line down.....then subtract for the thickness of the deck......also use the old deck lines as a reference, (to start the measurement) as the deck will be lower in the hull the farther foward you go.

read hull ext in progress .....it has detailed info.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw....yes the outer stringers will be the same height if they are the same distance from the chine

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and....uh....why did ya cut the transom off?

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and....uh....why did ya cut the transom off?

Oops,

Uh oh. . . you never really want to read a post like ?why did you cut the transom off??

Here is the background. I picked this boat up in February from a guy in Maryland who was giving it away. Attached are some pics of what the boat looked like when I picked it up.

Rot had spread throughout the whole boat ? decking, stringers, transom. . . everything crumbled to the touch. More pics attached.

I found this board and started reading threads ? and after nearly going blind, I decided the best strategy was to gut the whole thing and start over. So I ripped everything out, stringers, foam, transom, hardware, wiring, fuel tank . . . everything. And now that I am done ripping stuff out, its time to start putting stuff back in. I thought I would start by "dry fitting" some stringers and seeing how that goes.

So, now on to stupid question #1 ? was I not suppose to cut the transom off? :eek:

Thanks for your advice on the stringers ? I will read your thread.

Regards,

James

Attachments

• 08Mar22.underside of bow decking.jpg
    08Mar22.underside of bow decking.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 08Mar22.bow-to-stern decking removed.jpg
    08Mar22.bow-to-stern decking removed.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Rear - February.jpg
    Rear - February.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Side - February.jpg
    Side - February.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

You will need to re-do the outer skin of the transom now that you cut it out. Most people would leave the outer skin and just get all of the wood out from the inside.

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will need to re-do the outer skin of the transom now that you cut it out. Most people would leave the outer skin and just get all of the wood out from the inside.

Ahhh . . I got ya. There were a ton of stress cracks in the outer skin of the transom. . . plus, there was a good-sized hole that had been plugged with plywood where the outboard used to be. I took all of that into consideration.

I dont know. . . good decision or bad, I cut it off.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I decided to ?dry fit? the rear portion of my stringers today and something is bugging me. . . I had to cut the stringers 6", 9 1/2", 10" & 7", from left to right, to achieve level across all four.

I would have thought, in a perfect world, the two outside stringers & the two inside stringers would have been the same size? :confused:

Does it even matter? Am I just being anal? I guess there is no way to verify the boat is sitting on the trailer even, to begin with.

Attached is a picture. By the way, I am rebuilding an 83' ProLine CC, and I owe everything I have accomplished to this point to the people who post on this board - thanks to everyone.

Regards,

James

Ive never heard of a 83 foot proline!! Is it a comertial vessal? 83' is almost a ship not a boat! If that is a 83' boat that is a HUGE Level then!!

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive never heard of a 83 foot proline!! Is it a comertial vessal? 83' is almost a ship not a boat! If that is a 83' boat that is a HUGE Level then!!

Yeah - Kind of makes my garage seem more like an aircraft hangar, yet still to small. :confused:

For the record, its a 21' ProLine CC built in 1983. . . also known as the year of the Chicken McNugget.

Regards,

James

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Do you still have the transom section you removed? Without it it will be very difficult to get everything lined up as it was before. The transom holds the hull sides in line with the bottom, once removed they're free to move around and take whatever shape they can sag into. The trailer will also deform the hull which will push the sides out, but this may happen unevenly, so getting everything lined back up will be a challenge.

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you still have the transom section you removed?
No.

Without it it will be very difficult to get everything lined up as it was before. The transom holds the hull sides in line with the bottom, once removed they're free to move around and take whatever shape they can sag into.
Should I forget about playing around with the stringers for now and glass in a new transom first? Is that the next step?

The trailer will also deform the hull which will push the sides out, but this may happen unevenly, so getting everything lined back up will be a challenge.
I have thought about that - would it be better for me to take the hull off of the trailer and put it on a contraption similiar to the one Oops built in his Hull Ext thread?

Regards,

James

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You may be able to leave it on the trailer and get it line up, but you won't know until you try it. It may need a bunch of cross bracing and supports under it and sometimes the trailer gets in the way. Yes the transom will be the next step and it needs to be correct, if it's not then nothing will line up.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you will need to lift the cap back on as well.....if you build in a transom, and the hull is deformed, you will never get the cap back on.....(it just needs to be on for the measuring, fitting and glassing)

you dont have to bolt it on......just set it in place and fasten a few screws thru existing holes to hold it there.....when you glass in the new transom....dont glass it to the cap

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Do what oops! said and put the cap back on, it's the only way to get the transom and hull lined up so you can glass it back together.

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I never took the cap off because, once I cut the transom off, it was the only thing preventing the side walls of the hull from popping outward. But I get what you are saying about keeping it on for measuring, mockup and glassing purposes.

I will start measuring to re-install the transom - I will keep you all posted. i am sure I will have a question or two.

Thanks a ton for everyones help!

Regards,

James

oops!

Supreme Mariner

post back every day that you work on it james....take pics and post them....

the reason is more than us guiding you, and stopping mistakes before they happen.....it is also for your mental progress....

there is a real dspair that comes when your at that stage of a resto. posting on here really encourages a person to keep at it...it is a real joy to post pics of progress. the encouragement you get is somthing that cannot be bought.

there are several mental highs and lows of a restoration project.....they are very real and if you let them get to you....it will stall or even scrap the project.....posting here is the best way to beat the mental battle of a resto

lundnisswa

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is going to be one sweet boat when your done, wish I could find a 21 footer like that, looking forward to seeing you get that Transom back on so take lots of pix and post em.
These guys will point you in the direction, not much that cannot be fixed!
Great work!
Lund

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Before you glass the transom in again, how's about adding a couple extra feet to that hull? :eek: :D:D:D

reelfishin

Captain

Your two main points of concern now will be to get the new transom outer to bond with the original hull, and second, getting everything to fit and not end up deformed or warped in any way.

I think I'd have left the outer skin no matter how bad it was, it's easier to patch or repair what's already there than to try and adhere new glass to old and make it look right.

I would also have gone about it in steps, first the transom, then tackle the deck and stringers. I'd also have to really like the boat to got through all of that.
You also have the option as this point to build it as a true outboard boat or to use a set back motor bracket as well since your starting from scratch.