1990 120hp Force trim problems

jc1978

Recruit
One of my trim cylinders is leaking. How hard is that to fix?? Is it something the weekend warrior can handle or is it better left to the pros??

Also where is a good place to get a rebuild kit??

Thanks for any and all replys

Joe

tjello327

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 120hp Force trim problems

Mine needs to be done too. I would put a good car jack under the lower unit carefully and it looks like a hose and a few bolts and its off. I am watching one on e-bay right now. This my be the cheepest way out. A good hydraulic shop could re-pack it but I dont think it will be as cheep unless you know someone who works at one.

RRitt

Captain

One of my trim cylinders is leaking. How hard is that to fix?? Is it something the weekend warrior can handle or is it better left to the pros??

Also where is a good place to get a rebuild kit??

Thanks for any and all replys

Joe

fluid is coming out of trim cylinder? That's bad. It usually means the cover has a crack in it. Try ebay for a seal kit. Maybe you'll get lucky and it is just the rubber. Probably not ... but maybe. Seal kits are cheap, $20 or less.

however ... maybe you mean fluid is coming out of tilt cylinder? That's not such a big deal. Throw a new band collar & fitting on it (part# F2A654983) and I suspect everything will be good. Even if it is leaking out top (around piston shaft) then you're still not in bad shape. You're back to an ebay seal kit but with very high probability of success.

jc1978

Recruit

Now that I have sorta educated myself to the workings of this I can better explain.

From what I under stand there are 2 shock like cylinders, and 1 piston, the piston is trim, the cylinder on the right (when behind boat) is the tilt cylinder and the left is a shock. If this is so then the oil I see leaking is from the shock. I see no leaks from any other part of the system. The resevoir is full to the point it runs out the fill hole. So now what??

Thanks

Joe

RRitt

Captain

Shock damper is not a critical part of your system but it can cause problems if locks. If oil is coming out then water is getting in. Inspect the plastic piece right where piston shaft goes into shock body. If it is cracking or deteriorating then you should replace the scraper on both shock and tilt.

jc1978

Recruit

Shock damper is not a critical part of your system but it can cause problems if locks. If oil is coming out then water is getting in. Inspect the plastic piece right where piston shaft goes into shock body. If it is cracking or deteriorating then you should replace the scraper on both shock and tilt.

The bad shock wouldnt cause the engine to come down would it??

RRitt

Captain

you are right, a bad shock has nothing to do with engine raising or lowering. It is just there to smooth out the bumps and wiggles.

If you engine lifts fine but then bleeds down then it is almost always the valve body. You can find new valve bodies here on iboats. If they are backordered then check ebay. I think they are more expensive to buy on ebay but I also think i saw somebody who had them. If not getting yours rebuildt is fairly cheap.