I give up, cant figure it out /update

f_inscreenname

Commander
Have a 19'1972 John Allmand/Super Nova. When I bought it 2 years ago I thought it would be a simple swap out of motors and a paint job. Boy I was wrong. It came with a 318 mopar and a volvo 270 outdrive. Two winters ago I built a bad ass 360 ci to put in it. Then spent 6 months looking for a fly-wheel that would work with it (it also cost $800.00 + the cost of having a hi-pro shop to rebalance it). There goes one summer. Soo I spent all winter making sure everything was just right. A couple of weeks I installed my motor with the golden flywheel and everything was fine till I bolted up my outdrive. Sitting on the trailer when you turn the outdrivr all the way to on side or the other it rattels,loud, inside the bellhousing. I then pulled the outdrive and motor. Installed new U-joints in the outdrive and had the bell housing and drive shaft rebuilt. I also replaced the pilot bearing In the crank. I spent a hour grinding it down to fit inside the hole (there is only 1 bearing for all for small blocks mopars and it didnt fit,I had to cut it down by 2/3's the thickness). Got it all put back together and still have the same rattel.It even seems a little worse. I am at a lose to what to do next. This B/S sucks! I have always had mercrusier and chevy/fords and never had this s*#t. What do I do next? <br />It has 50 gallons of gas in it(another thing just bought at 1.57 a gallon) and a road flare sitting right there on my work bench. Humm.......<br /><br />04/30/2002<br /> It was time to go break something. Or at least that is what I thought. Went down to the boat ramp and droped it in. Under load it dose not make the banging noise (tin spoon hitting a tin plate) but when turning L and R in gear you could feel it vibrate in the hull (rember its only 19'). I am happy to report that nothing broke and man was it fast. My pattel wheel speedometer was up to a solid 60 mph at one point. It is a new motor so I didnt want to do that for long. As you can see I have a lot of HP so I need it right,with no vibritions.<br /> I think the right course now is pull the motor and have a pilot bearing made (No home made stuff) for the hole in th e crank. Come to find out my crank was never cut for one so I have to have one custom made. I think also I will replace the vibration damper just in case the springs are a little weak. Any thoughts?

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: I give up, cant figure it out /update

Well f-in'<br />There ain't but one thing left to do and that's take it to tha water, drop it in crank it up and see what (if anything) turns loose. Sounds drastic but ya've done everthing else. Might not be anything or something easy to fix but thats the only other thing I can think to do.<br />Doit toit and lets us know what happens.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6

davidd267

Cadet

I would build some kind of stops to keep it from turning far enough to rattle and go boating .

G DANE

Commander

As I said in previous post, i had the same rattle, though i never heard yours, but only at hard left turns. I never found out what it was. It never got better and it never got worse. I did 250 Hrs with it. The only error i found was one of the ujoint going a bit tough, but no play. Id say like hooty.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Wow. You sure poured your heart and wallet into that project, by the sound of it. I don't have much to offer iether,long-distance,but Hooty is onto something. Without being able to actually SEE what is contacting what,in a sharp turn, take it out, and run it long enough to wipe-out the paint,thus giving an indication of that.<br />Also,I would check for an out-of-ballance issue in the prop/outdrive. That would surely raise hale back there.And you can't visually see the outdrive or prop when underway.<br />Couldn't hurt to check..Save the road flare for if and when. Carry a TM and a fully chargered TM battery,and build something to temp-mount it in case it does let go. And when it does let go, it will let go where the problem was, as Hooty said.<br />I sure would like to know how the last chapter is written on your project. It sure sounds like a great boat other than the racket and money.<br />PS; your screenname puts me on the floor, :D

f_inscreenname

Commander

If it is any help it sounds like a tin spoon banging on a tin plate (the kind you use for camping) of course it get faster and slower with the use of the gas.<br /> I wouldnt mind taking it out and blowing the hell out it to find out what was wrong but the parts are so rare and cost so much I dont have the heart or the bank to do it. If it burner to the water line it would be a complete lose,blown up sitting in my driveway would mean starting over and looking at it till the next time there was a glimmer of hope of it being done.

G DANE

Commander

I dont know if its a bad suggestion - but how about calling Volvo ???<br /><br />They could be of some help, maybee they would be helpfull - who knows ? There are lots of drives here and in sweden - must give some experience.<br /><br />www.penta.volvo.se/t/001.asp?id=1&p=1

G DANE

Commander

By your description of sound, exactly like mine.<br /><br />Mine was worse when drive was raised, almost nothing when lowered.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know you think you have tried everything. In my 40 years working on Volvo's I have never had to balance a flywheel. In the first place I would put a regular pilot bushing in the crankshaft. Use a standard 360 flywheel. Your problem is your flex damper plate assembly. It has 32 splines in the shaft in your bellhousing. That has always been standard. I have never had to spend this much time and money to get this problem solved. If you have any other questions you can call me at either (251)962-2189 or (800)979-2189. You have been had but it is too late to cry over spilled milk. If it's Volvo I can tell you how to fix it and save you money. I stock that flexplate and also have parts manuals illustrating Chrysler since their beginning in the marine business. I would be happy to FAX you pictures of where your problem is. Good Luck.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Gene70<br />The small block mopar is a externaly balanced motor. The only way to do this is to balance the flywheel (the kind you use with a clutch) on a automatic you would have to add weights to the torque converter. I know I got screwed on what I paid for the golden flywheel. I searched for six months. My line was "Looking for a matching bell housing and flywheel for a chrysler small block to a volvo 270 outdrive" on every web site and parts dealed on line,in the phone book and any leeds from people I would get.I bet you there is still posts on line if you do a search for volvo bellhousing and flywheel. Like I said that was six months and there was only one deal that came along. <br />As for the pilot bushing,if I could buy the right one I would have.I bought 4 ($3.00 each,at this point I would buy 30 to get the right one)by two diffrent maker and 3 diffrent stores(pep boys,advance auto and a local guy who always has the right part). They are all the same size. All 3 say there is no listing for any other bearing that fits a any small block mopar. I also have every manul made for mopar and volvo also.<br /> You think it is the damper plate. I thought of that also. How can I tell if it bad? Why would it only do it in a full turn? Like I said I have only run it on a trailer. To scared to brake something plus the bay is a big place to brake down this time of year.How much do you want for a damper?

sho305

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might try it under a load, not WOT, just slow in the water. My old '67 Eaton drive, whom I believe was bought by Volvo later on, will vibrate very slightly on a higher power sharp turn. It does it lots more out of the water as the shaft flops around more in there without any load. Also does it when tilted way up. It has a double universal in there that is new. I try not to hammer it in sharp turns since it is ancient anyway, and there is little need to. Besides the fact that I have a hard time turning a 289 v-8 with only a cable and no power steering in this thing. Low tech for sure. <br /><br />Had the whole drive out of there and know all is replaced, in good condition, including new drive shaft. I am positive the sharp angle is just at the limits of the universal. My old 4x4 trucks did the same thing on the front axle in the snow, spinning with no load at a sharp angle.<br /><br />Keep good lube in that drive and let us know how it works. Should not make noise in the water though, I would think.

G DANE

Commander

f_inscreenname<br /><br />Reading more and more, i really think Gene 70 is right. When you turn or tilt up, the u-joints have to work at their max. This will cause vibration, especially if one bearing goes a bit tough. The springs in the damper will compress and extent all the time, with the vibration, giving the sound. Having all i checked and changed in mind, without solving problem, it sounds just right. I dont think the plates are that much, but you have to pull your motor back, if there is space. By the way, my old boat is still running after 12 years with this problem - not changing, i talked to the guy that owns it now. He doesnt think its a problem. After 12 yrs !

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You wanted to know the price of a damper. I have a near new one for $125 plus freight. You can contact me at jmontgom@gulftel.com or <br />1-800-949-2189 if you are interested.