Throttle Control & Cables

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been having a hard time with advancing the throttle on my side mounted control unit & it seemed like I was trying to push Mt. Everest forward when trying to push the throttle up. I decided to tackle taking the control unit apart today & I found several broken plastic teeth on a gear inside the control unit. Now the fast idle/start lever will not work at all as it seems to be in a locked position. The throttle lever is still very hard to push forward as well.

I have a 1984 Johnson 50 HP enigne on my bass boat with power trim/tilt & I measured the cables & the best I can come up with is they are about 12-13ft in total lengh. My question is this. Are the control units "sized" for the type of engine I have or can I use a "used unit" from another boat that is also a 50-60 or 70 HP engine?? I called a place that handles used units but they must be made out of "GOLD" based on the price he quoted me. I'm not too sure what my choices are right now.

Does anyone know where I "might" be able to buy used replacement parts to repair mine or where I can look for a good used unit that I don't have to get a second mortgage on the house to buy it? I could sure use some advice on this subject as it is starting to wear me down just a little & all the BIG FISH are getting caught by someone else. Thanks in advance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Throttle Control & Cables

you can use any Johnson/evinrude control that has the big red plug. i buy them on ebay. controlls were alike from 1979 -1996.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

(1978 115hp) my boat came with an old *** controll, bought a new one ($230) , cut my harness, and spliced it right into the old wiring, colors matched up and everything.

(1993 20hp) on my old boat/engine, i purchasd one that was on the shelf forever (2005 model $70) and it too installed just fine.

I have the old controll box if your instered, PM me

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can use any Johnson/evinrude control that has the big red plug. i buy them on ebay. controlls were alike from 1979 -1996.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "big red plug" as mine does not have one that I can see. I have a small 3 prong plug that is black that connects right under the ignition switch with the 2 cables coming out going to the motor which I believe connects to my power trim & tilt. I haven't got that far yet in removing everything.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the wiring harness where it connects to the motor, should have a big red plug.

jonesg

Admiral

on mine the red engine plug is underneath a black plastic shield, tucked tight against the starter, its not visible til the shield is removed.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

on mine the red engine plug is underneath a black plastic shield, tucked tight against the starter, its not visible til the shield is removed.

OK now I understand what you are talking about. Sometimes this old brain just doesn't work right. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

(1978 115hp) my boat came with an old *** controll, bought a new one ($230) , cut my harness, and spliced it right into the old wiring, colors matched up and everything.

(1993 20hp) on my old boat/engine, i purchasd one that was on the shelf forever (2005 model $70) and it too installed just fine.

I have the old controll box if your instered, PM me

I sent you a PM. Thanks

I had a similar problem with my 1981 60HP Evinrude. I found a used control box at a local marina and it included the cables, wiring harness, and 2 keys. As mentioned earlier, these controls were used for many years on both Johnson and Evinrude outboards.

Also, I once broke my control cables shifting my engine when it was not running. Apparently you cannot shift when your engine is not running? Either way I needed new cables too.

However, when I was at one marina they said that they could order individual parts from inside the control unit. Although this was not an option for me, if you only broke a few parts you could maybe order new parts to put in your control box.

BTW - I have spent alot of time reading here on iBoats, but this is my first post!

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a similar problem with my 1981 60HP Evinrude. I found a used control box at a local marina and it included the cables, wiring harness, and 2 keys. As mentioned earlier, these controls were used for many years on both Johnson and Evinrude outboards.

Also, I once broke my control cables shifting my engine when it was not running. Apparently you cannot shift when your engine is not running? Either way I needed new cables too.

However, when I was at one marina they said that they could order individual parts from inside the control unit. Although this was not an option for me, if you only broke a few parts you could maybe order new parts to put in your control box.

BTW - I have spent alot of time reading here on iBoats, but this is my first post!

WELCOME aboard!!! I'm new myself but have posted on some subjects & have found people to be very helpful & knowledgeable. I've certainly learned a lot of good information from everyone.

I've located a "nearly new used" control unit with all the cables & electrical connections at a boat place in Chesepeake, VA but they want between $175.00 & $200.00 for the whole unit. They said if I brought my old one in along with the cables attached they would even adjust the ones on theirs to match the ones on mine. I've also found one on eBay for a lot less & I have no idea what is a "FAIR" price for one of these units. Either way I don't have much choice as I have to get it replaced or repaired. I'm going to check with my local marine store & see if they can get me the broken plastic gear that I need before I spend a lot of money for a used one.

Thanks for the information you provided.

Just to let you know, I paid $150 (Canadian... live in Ontario) for my control box. It was in excellent condition but the key was stuck in the ignition switch. I took it back to the marina and they replaced the ignition switch (so I got 2 brand new keys) for free. The control box I bought came with 13' cables and the wiring harness. BUT I broke one of those cables and I suspected the other one may be worn, so I replaced the 2 cables with new Teleflex cables for about $50 for the pair. So I guess I paid about $200CAD but got a new ignition switch and brand new cables.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your welcome! I found that link in a different thread (tashasdaddy posted the link in that thread) and that same link applied here.

jonesg

Admiral

I think its bad for the gears if you shift without the prop shaft turning, chips the edges , cables are cheap, gears aren't.

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

another thought....google Ultraflex controls and you can find a lot of info

I used these on a 73 Evinrude

ULTRAFLEX DUAL LEVER OUTBOARD CONTROL

SKU: UFXB47
Suitable for all outboard engines. Made of nylon fiberglass with anodized aluminum levers. Left or right side mount installation. Direct connection to 33C control cables. Available with light gray finish or black finish. Comes with K25 connection kit which converts these controls to 33C cables.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

another thought....google Ultraflex controls and you can find a lot of info

I used these on a 73 Evinrude

SKU: UFXB47
Suitable for all outboard engines. Made of nylon fiberglass with anodized aluminum levers. Left or right side mount installation. Direct connection to 33C control cables. Available with light gray finish or black finish. Comes with K25 connection kit which converts these controls to 33C cables.

I have some of the darndest luck of anyone in the world sometimes. I did a search on eBay & am currently winning the bid on a remote unit with the cables & electrical harness & ignition keys. ASLO I am bidding on one without the cables. As luck would have it, I ran into an old friend today that I had not seen or heard tell of in over 50 years & come to find out he is an old marine mechanic with over 40yrs experience. I never knew he was into this type of work. AND I also find out he lives within 10 miles of me. I told him about my remote problem & he said bring it to him this afternoon (which I did) & he would have it back to me tomorrow working like NEW again. When I took it to him he went inside his shop & pulled a BRAND SPANKING NEW ONE out of the box that had never been used. I'm talking brand spanking new. The price given to me by the local marine dealer was $379.00 PLUS new cables at $40.00 each PLUS a new wiring harness for the NEWER STYLE remotes at a cost of $176.95 for a total of $635.95 PLUS the tax & shipping. In other words the OLDER style like mine are no longer available according to the dealer. So bottom line is this. I bought the new unit from my old friend for a total of $250.00 with 13ft cables & the wiring harness witn me doing the installing of everything. He is going to preadjust the new cables to match my old ones to make things easier for me.

I can't believe the luck I have sometimes. BUT since I am still winning the bids on eBay I may have to buy the 2 units I'm bidding on so it might wind up costing MORE in the long run anyway. Oh well. At least I have a NEW unit that should outlast me by quite a few years. If only I had ran into my old friend one day earlier!!!!!! Always a day late & a dollar short.

Wow... that's awesome! Did you get the "original" OMC controls or the Ultraflex ones? Either way you did luck out!

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow... that's awesome! Did you get the "original" OMC controls or the Ultraflex ones? Either way you did luck out!

I really got lucky in that it is the original OMC control unit. Occassionally even after I've screwed up I manage to luck out. Not very often but in this case I did pretty good.

It was a bear getting the old cables out of the boat due to all the floatation surrounding them & I know it's going to be a bear installing them but I'll make it one way or the other. Patience doesn't come easy sometimes but I think I better have lots of it when I get started on it today.