Freeze Protection

mcarr

Recruit
I have just purchased a used boat ('87 Regal 20' Open Bow, 4.3l Mercruiser I/0) and am concerned about it freezing up. We live in a fairly cool climate, and frost is possible up until June. How worried do I need to be about the engine/lower unit freezing after use? At what temperature does this become a problem? Do I have to drain it down/winterize it after every use until frost threat is past? Has anyone had any experience with this in colder climates? Thanks for your help. <br />mcarr, Colorado

jlemke

Cadet
Re: Freeze Protection

Get familiar with those drain plugs. You could have problems after just 1 night of freezing temps. I found out the hard way a few years ago.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Freeze Protection

Macarr<br />You could put an extension lead with 60 watt bulb into the engine compartment on cold nights if you have power, it's enough to stop the thing from freezing. The other option is to find a small barrel that will fit over the leg and put RV antifreeze in to flush the motor after every use.<br /><br />I cracked both manifold water jackets on a friends 4.3 by not completely draining the motor. Fixed them in a radiator shop with solder and they were fine for three years until he sold the boat.