Restoring an 88 Chapparal, Need Doghouse

88chapparal

Recruit
Well, here is my first post and I am in a dilemma of what type of material to use for the doghouse (engine cover). I have a 2300 SX 1988 Chap with a 5.7L I/O.
The current seat configuration has a seat on either side of the engine but I want to build a sunpad over the engine and make a bench seat in the stern (front of engine).
I guess I am not sure how to start but I thought about putting the sunpad on a hinge (piano?) and build the bench seats separate, maybe hinge them so I can pull them back to be able to get to the engine.
1/2" plywood with resin?

Any suggestions?

thanks guys.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring an 88 Chapparal, Need Doghouse

im going to do the same thing on my boat soon......loose the doghouse, and the two jump seats. make a sunpad with a bench seat in front of it.....this is how im going to do it........

place a plywood bulkhead in front of the motor....use sound proofing on the engine side......coat the bulkhead in glass......

each side of the gunnels....add a peice of aluminum angle iron....this will be the "lip" of the sun pad....using a large piano hinge.....make the engine cover out of plywood and fiberglass and cover the top with upholstery and the bottom with sound proofing....(the top of the bulkhead will support the front lip of the sun pad.

in front of the fiberglassed encased bulkhead......i will make a mock up if a bench seat.....pull a mold...and make a pure glass bench seat...

it can be made out of fiberglassed plywood....but im gonna add cool curves.

i will also add storage in the base of the bench seat......

keep in mind...if you do this ...you will take up lots of room in the boat....
you might want to think about extending the hull ! :eek::D :D

cheers
oops

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am thinking about building a new dog house for my boat and was thinking about using a good grade ply and staining it and trimming it out nice with with 1x pine cutting in some cup holders and vents

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw.....welcome to i boats !....you are in the right spot if you want to learn......total nubs have been walked step by step right thru a total rebuild on these forums......most answers are allmost instant

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I am thinking about building a new dog house for my boat and was thinking about using a good grade ply and staining it and trimming it out nice with with 1x pine cutting in some cup holders and vents

erik green....(one of iboats forum restorers) is building a dog house right now.....he has detailed picks....just search doghouse