ignition issues

tjello327

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello forum!
I have a 1986 125 hp force. Been fighting a no spark issue for a while now. I had no spark on #1 & #3. By changing stator wires around I found that #3 stator output is bad. I put an e-bay stator on and now have spark on #3 but still not #1. I changed the stator wires around like I did on #3 and still no spark. The only way I can get spark on #1 is to use the other stator input lead that goes to the cdi box and change the output that goes to the coil. I used #2 because I know it works and it uses the same cdi box as #1. This test leads me to believe that the cdi box is bad on the one side for
#1. Seems easy enough but the only problem I have with this is I have 2 othe cdi boxes here and I have the same results with those.
I changed #1 trigger wire with #2 trigger wire and I still had spark on #2 which tells me that the trigger is good. I have a new ignition package on the way from e-bay that I will put on next week which should fix the problem. I would still like to know what the problem is with the components I have now.

Any ideas??? cdi??? :)

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: ignition issues

I have somewhat of the same issue as you, I am getting no spark though. I hope we get a answer/fix soon! I have tried everything but new parts and the cost of these parts it is not cheap to start tossing new parts to replace good parts!:eek:

6boats

Cadet
Re: ignition issues

I don't see where you tested the spark plugs and coils and trigger. If not one of these, then what you are describing is that all CD packs are bad (in the same way, not too likely tho).

Start over and try this....

Remove ALL spark plug wires and test for spark. Use a good set of rubber gloves and place a Phillips screwdriver in one of the spark plug wire connectors. Crank the engine just long enough to see if the Phillips screwdriver makes a spark against the spark plug.

If you are having a spark problem, start swapping parts. Swap spark plugs first. Retest. If all Spark plugs are good, swap Coils, and retest. If all coils are good, swap CD Power packs.

If all CD power packs are good, remove all connectors from the stator. Measure the resistance (ohms) through each of the coil-sets on the stator. There are usually 3 coil-sets, 1 for battery recharge, and 2 for the Spark plug CD (to Power Packs). (Mine reads 1000 ohms across the Battery recharge coils, 3000 across the CD (to Power Pack) coils.) Right now don't worry about the number. But if the resistance (ohms) is infinity (open circuit) one of your coils is bad.

If you fail this simple test, take the flywheel off and the stator off, then look at the stator visually. You will probably see where the bad coil has burned or cooked the insulation off the coils.

You can test the trigger the same way, but I don?t know what the resistance (ohms) is suppose to be.

If everything checks out, you can always buy the manual and see what the exact numbers are suppose to be.