What to do with bumpers?

ghcoe

Cadet
Ok, looking for suggestions on how to store bumpers on my cuddy cabin while underway. I have a 1989 Blue Water Executive Cuddy that is a pain to get the bumpers on and off for docking. Up till now we just stuffed the bumpers between the rail and the body, but it looks ridiculous and they sometimes fall back down while underway. Also, we would get on the bow to deploy the forward bumpers, but last time we were out we got a warning not to have anyone on the bow while underway. That to me seems weird because there is a teak walkway to the bow and a high rail around the bow like it was intended to be used while underway. Would make no sense to me why you would be walking up there for anything else than for docking and undocking. Well I though maybe someone here has ran into this problem and has a solution. Thanks.

Attachments

• Day at Lucky Peak 7-17-08 009 small.JPG
    Day at Lucky Peak 7-17-08 009 small.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • small.JPG
    small.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral
Re: What to do with bumpers?

guess i'm a slacker, i only deploy 2 for the most part.... for storage. i put them in the side pocket gunnel storage, 4 of them. 2 for ea. side. i'd guess storage of them may be unique to your boat though.....

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do you have a slip? or do you trailer your boat? I leave my attached to the dock ( 2 of them anyways). I have two others on the boat should I need them to tie up anyplace else such as the fuel dock etc.

ghcoe

Cadet

I trailer the boat. Good idea about leaving them at the dock though. Usually once at the lake we use the same dock the whole time.

Ernie C

Recruit

Ok. My wife came up with this they are called Fender Tender II. I know you can get them thru Overtons as im looking at them in the cat. now. Master cat.2008 page 251 item #34014. there are several diff types but we have found these to work best for us. When underway we hang them on the passenger side window thay even hang there while towing to & from the lake. When your ready to tie up or even raft up[in calm water] its very simple to remove from your window molding and slip over bow rail, aft rail and/or cleat. as for being on your bow I'v been told its illegal while underway but while anchoring and/or docking well probably better ask. But you gota do what you gota do. In looking at the pics of your boat I bet you find that you can hang them from the side. You very seldom need them past the curve to the point of the bow

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Storage locker? I have not seen a boat yet that did not have one and if they did a few got put in.

bhammer

Ensign

Put the bumpers on your vehicle or on the bumper pool table. :D Sorry, couldn't resit that. :D As for fenders, do you hvae a ski locker or something you can store them in? Also, I know they make the nice chrome holders for them. I don;t know how'd they look on your boat but on some larger cruisers, they don't look too bad. Also, you may want to search for hte rapid inflatable ones. I saw a guy at the lake that had ones that had a big valvle on them. He would open them, let the air out so they stored flat and then when needed, he would expand them and close the valve. Could tell just a little that they didn't have the same amount of air as others, but they still worked.

mlukich

Seaman Apprentice

As far as going forward while underway - I'd ask the local authorities (DNR, game warden, etc) what the exact rules are for your area. I respect the fact that it is dangerous to be on the bow while underway, hate to see anyone get pitched overboard and then run over. BUT - to go up front when approaching the dock at idle speed to hang a fender or tend a line is a whole different story. Can't imagine that they (cops, etc) would have a problem with that... Again, I'd ask...

Mark

a70eliminator

Captain

Just an idea for you, You could get one of those cargo nets, like you see in the mini-vans or pick-up beds, get a large one so you can custom tailor it to your needs, in the pics it looks like you could attach the net across the rear of your transom above water line, water can drain off and it won't take up any room in your boat

NYJim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No one should be allowed to be on the bow while underway. This is a very strict law in NY. It is a safety issue. Think about it, you have a 10 year old on the bow and your doing 30, you slow down real quick for one resaon or another and just as you do that your son goes to stand up. BOOM he flies off the bow and guess what??? you have a serious issue.
Yes you can be on the bow while docking, no issues there. You can also be on the bow while anchored or not underway. Sorry to be so straight forward but I can just imagine the wost.

ghcoe

Cadet

No one should be allowed to be on the bow while underway. This is a very strict law in NY. It is a safety issue. Think about it, you have a 10 year old on the bow and your doing 30, you slow down real quick for one resaon or another and just as you do that your son goes to stand up. BOOM he flies off the bow and guess what??? you have a serious issue.
Yes you can be on the bow while docking, no issues there. You can also be on the bow while anchored or not underway. Sorry to be so straight forward but I can just imagine the wost.

We do not allow anyone on the deck until we are at idle speed and approaching a dock. This is the only way we have to deploy the front bumper/fenders and bowline for docking. The officer told us that someone would have to jump off of the back of the boat and run forward to deploy the bumper/fenders and bowline. This seems more dangerous while I try and maneuver the boat from hitting the dock.

NYJim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to agree with you on that. What if you were by yourself?? I guess you would have to tie the stern and then run to bow, but by then you would have allready bashed the forward section on the dock..... dont know what else to do. I still see alot of baoters running around with their bumpers hanging off the side. Not pretty!!!!

NYJim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I trailer the boat. Good idea about leaving them at the dock though. Usually once at the lake we use the same dock the whole time.

No one would steal them, would they??? shame the dock does not have rubber around it. That would be the best for all.....

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Mentioning another place to buy them is an insult to iboats,,,,,as they DO have them available. Go to the marine store, click on mooring and docking. There they are listed as docking fender racks. These will mount on your bow rails.

ghcoe

Cadet

Mentioning another place to buy them is an insult to iboats,,,,,as they DO have them available. Go to the marine store, click on mooring and docking. There they are listed as docking fender racks. These will mount on your bow rails.

Thanks for the heads up. Checked it out. Lots of good ideas there..

Nandy

Commander

Ijust leave mine on all the time and swing the one in the stern in.