1986 Evinrude 150VRO Stator/Powerpack

Terry48h

Recruit
I recently bought a used 17ft Bass boat with an Evinrude 150 engine VRO. When cold, the engine starts fine, runs like a scalded dog. When completely warmed up, runs the same. IN BETWEEN HOWEVER, just as the engine is coming up to temp, it seems to lose 3 cyllinders, bogs down to an idle, then fires up and takes off again. Will do this several times for several minutes then after a few miles of this, runs fine till completely cool again. I suspect either one of the power packs or the stator is going bad. It has been my experience though that most times an electrical part is either good or bad. However I know this is not always true. Fuel system is fine it seems, carbs are spotless and if I choke it while its acting up, it bogs worse...not fuel related. The stator DOES have some black ooze coming out of it.Somebody please help, parts are expensive and I wanna do it right the first time.

Terry48h

Recruit
Re: 1986 Evinrude 150VRO Stator/Powerpack

Oh, One other detail, may or may not be relevent... Sometimes even when warmed up, It cuts out so bad when trying to trailer it theres not enough power to drive it up on the trailer.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, One other detail, may or may not be relevent... Sometimes even when warmed up, It cuts out so bad when trying to trailer it theres not enough power to drive it up on the trailer.
I'am no boat mechanic. But if you have black ooze coming out of your stator then more than likely its bad or getting there. I'd replace that stator first and see if that does it. If not then you likely have some bad packs as well.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would start by checking the spark when it is acting up, to determine exactly which cylinders you are losing fire on. The state of your stator does now sound good, and is a likely candidate. The following is from the CDI Troubleshooting Guide.

NO SPARK ON ONE BANK:

1. Check the stator and trigger resistance and DVA output as given below for each bank:

Wire Color: Check to Wire Color: Resistance: DVA Reading
Brown wire Brown/Yellow wire 450-550 (9 amp) 150V or more Connected
Brown wire Brown/Yellow wire 900-1100 (35 amp) 150V or more Connected
White wire Purple 15-42(a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Blue wire 15-42(a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Green wire 15-42(a) 0.6V or more Connected

(a) Use a comparison reading as the values for different years used different coils in the Timer-Base. As long as you have approximately the same ohm reading on all three tests and the correct output with the DVA meter, the Timer-Base should be good. The exception would be if the insulation is breaking down while the engine is running.

2. Check the DVA voltage to engine ground on the White Timer-Base wire while it is connected to the pack. You should see approximately the same reading as you do between the Brown & Brown/Yellow wires for that bank. A low reading usually indicates a bad Timer-Base.

3. Disconnect the Black/Yellow stop wire from one of the packs and retest. If the bank that had no fire now has spark, the pack that was appearing to fire correctly is faulty.

NO SPARK ON ONE CYLINDER:

1. Check the DVA output on the orange wires from the power pack while connected to the ignition coils. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more. If the reading is low on one cylinder, disconnect the orange wire from the ignition coil for that cylinder and reconnect it to a load resistor. Retest. If the reading is now good, the ignition coil is likely bad. A continued low reading indicates a bad power pack or Timer-Base.

2. Check the Timer Base resistance and DVA output as given below for each cylinder:

Wire Color: Check to Wire Color: Resistance: DVA Reading
White wire Purple wire 15-42(a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Blue wire 15-42(a) 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Green wire 15-42(a) 0.6V or more Connected

(a) Use a comparison reading as the values for different years used different coils in the Timer-Base. As long as you have approximately the same ohm reading on all three tests and the correct output with the DVA meter, the Timer-Base should be good.
3. Inspect the ignition coil for burned or discolored areas indicating arcing.
4. Swap the ignition coil with one that is sparking correctly.
5. Banks with the power packs and see if the problem moves. If fit does, replace the power pack. If not, replace the Timer-Base.