Better manual - Seloc or Clymer or original Johnson service manual?

mattjenna

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at getting a manual for my 'new' 87' 60hp Johnson.<br /><br />Wondered what the views were on the better manual?<br /><br />Seloc?<br /><br />Clymer?<br /><br />Original service manual?<br /><br />And why?<br /><br />As always, thanks.<br /><br />Matt

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Better manual - Seloc or Clymer or original Johnson service manual?

original service manual, year & engine specific. selocs are vague i some areas, use the clymer for wrap fish, or to keep your knees from getting dirty. i've been that route, by the right one first.

mattjenna

Seaman Apprentice

Is the Clymer really THAT bad?<br />Matt

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Why use anything but the original manual when it is so easy to get one from Ken Cook Co. in Milwaukee. Give them a call and they will ship on a credit card.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Matt...the original service manual gives you specific info on your engine. The Clymer and Selocs cover several different hp's for multiple years. They can be hard to follow and many times don't carry complete information on all service areas of the engine.

mattjenna

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ,<br /><br />Having only seen the Clymer manual I didn't think it was so bad. Does an original service manual provide all the trouble shooting advice etc carried in the Clymer and Seloc.<br /><br />I thought the original manual may be too specific to the engine and not contain sufficient generic information in relation to outboard motor care/maintenance/troubleshooting generally?<br /><br />Matt

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here's my 2 bits since i just did the same thing. I bought a Seloc (to save $20) and was not happy. Too much generic info. I found myself guessing on what to do. The first time I really had to use, there were steps missing and the diagram had 2 parts mixed up. I sent it back and got the original OMC manual. Besides the info/pictures, etc. that is way better in the OMC, the actual book is better quality. Better paper and cover.<br />Your comment on the "trouble shooting". I just flipped through my manual and there are several sections on on trouble shooting, tests, general tuneups.<br />IMO........get the OMC :)

RobsTV

Seaman

With an old 1975 Evinrude, I thought the original model/year specific OEM service manual I received with engine may be outdated by now. <br /><br />Had ignition woes, and old OEM said to use Neon Testers and other things I never heard of anymore. So I sprang for the Seloc, think it would have modern procedures with modern equipment. Wrong. Same stuff was needed for testing, but because the Seloc covered many models and years, it was not nearly as specific as the OEM manual was for my model and year. <br /><br />The only thing that was sorta good was the Seloc included a free on-line manual, and with a new cell phone that has good internet (PPC-6700), it may help someday when or if I don't have real OEM manual handy. <br /><br />We keep Seloc manual in the garage, and take OEM in a waterproof bag with us in boat. Even when back at garage, we only use the OEM for reference.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It depends on what your trouble shooting. I certainly wasn't happy when my "factory" manual arrived only to find out that I also needed the "accessories" manual to trouble shot my tilt and lift system. <br /><br />I wonder what else is considered an accessory. :(

Paul Moir

Admiral

Currently one on ebay, use these search terms:<br />(60, 60hp) (evinrude, johnson) manual 1987<br />It's not geared towards the novice mechanic, but if you have any questions you know where to ask. :)

mattjenna

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks All,<br /><br />Bought the original manual (in hard copy) from eBay off the seller SEARAYMAN13 - has HEAPS of original manuals for all types of engines-particularly Ev/Jo. Bought a parts catalogue too.<br /><br />Also bought a Clymer off eBay on CD.<br /><br />Will compare the two-hopefully the original will be worth the extra $.<br /><br />Matt