65 hp mercury outboard won't start (1969)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neller

Cadet
I don't seem to have power to my starter. I did yesterday, put a new fuel pump in (electric), then when I went to start it, I just get a clicking noise from the engine. I had the battery load tested, the battery is fine. I tried to jump across the starter and no spark, no turn, no nothing. Starter Solenoid bad? The clicking noise semms to come from the "electrical" block in front of the engine. Any ideas? It does have the thunderbolt ignition.

Thanks,

Pat

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 65 hp mercury outboard won't start (1969)

"Outboard won't start" in Engine FAQs.

Let us know what you find.

neller

Cadet

I searched through the forums last night and found a few similar threads with a similar problem, but no solution. It seems that many people disappear after they fix their boat and you don't know what fixed the problem.

Basically, when I turn the ignition switch I get a click or double click. No turn on the starter. Battery is fully charged and load tested. Will have to check the starter solenoid next?

Thanks,

Pat

1976SRV190

Seaman

I searched through the forums last night and found a few similar threads with a similar problem, but no solution. It seems that many people disappear after they fix their boat and you don't know what fixed the problem.

Basically, when I turn the ignition switch I get a click or double click. No turn on the starter. Battery is fully charged and load tested. Will have to check the starter solenoid next?

Thanks,

Pat

SOunds simpler than that to me, try reconnecting the battery cables, and attempt to fire it up again.

neller

Cadet

I jumped from the battery to the starter and the motor turns. Pulled apart my merc controller and the wires on the ignition are corroded. How would I test my Kill switch while I have it apart and rewiring it?

Pat

JB

Do "Outboard won't start". That will tell you what is wrong.

jetwhine

Seaman

Try moving your throttle in and out of neutral while turning the key. Maybe you have a bad neutral position. I know on my boat I have had problems with this issue. It will click but not turn the engine over. If I move the throttle just a little it will work. Maybe this will help.

dale.marak

Recruit
I have another problem. My engine will turn over but will not start. Checked the plugs and there is no spark to the plugs

GA_Boater

I have another problem. My engine will turn over but will not start. Checked the plugs and there is no spark to the plugs

dale.marak

This thread is 8 years old. Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread. In your new thread identify your motor - A serial number is helpful.

I would start a new thread for you, but there isn't enough information in your post.

Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.