My Tri Hull's Stringers Look Different

Sonoma

Recruit
Hello,

I am working on my Larson Tri Hull and I have torn out parts of the deck to get an idea of what I need to replace the stringers and deck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=262385

The stringers lay horizontial to the deck and are supported by foam. I am unsure of how to replace them in their original configuration. I also question how effective they are at stiffening the hull since they dont seem to attach except at the edge of the bilge?

I am attaching diagram of the hull and stringer placement.

I would also like some advice on removing the deck. I removed a portion of the rub rail and I cant see a defined seam. I tried pushing a chisel into the ridge under the rail but it felt pretty firm. Should I cut it with a Sawsall?

Thanks,

Tim

Attachments

• DeckDiagram.jpg
    DeckDiagram.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: My Tri Hull's Stringers Look Different

I think those "stringers" are just there to attach the floor to. They don't appear to be structural in design. This looks like a design where the foam is adding regidity to the hull instead of the traditional wood stringer. This was a common design in smaller boats that worked well.

Regarding removing the deck, try to see where the top meets the hull from inside the boat. That will give a much better idea of where the two parts join. Different manufacturers did this different ways. Some just screwed them, others used resin or adhesives to join them. So you have to do some investigation to see how it was done on your boat. But generally speaking, they were not intended to come apart. At least not easily!

Sonoma

Recruit
Re: My Tri Hull's Stringers Look Different

Thanks for the information. I will take a closer look from the inside.

Tim