New outboard , opinions wanted...

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm repowering a 21 center console.I was considering a 150 Yamaha 2 stroke , a similar sized Evinrude Etec , and lastly a 4 Stroke Yamaha.
I need opinions.I really can't justify a 4 stroke outboard because of the added price.Maybe I'm wrong being that you will eventually gain money back because you don't burn 2 stroke oil.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New outboard , opinions wanted...

etec. then Yammy.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not sure where you've been shopping but around here a Yamaha F150 is $1K cheaper than a 150 E-tec.

I'd look hard at a Suzuki 150 4 stroke as well. The commerical guys around here swear by them and they are $2.5K cheap than the E-tec

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Ed's Marine Superstore (com) will give you relative value of motors, though not necessarily anywhere near the price rigged to your boat and in your area. Best bang for the buck would be to 2-stroke Yamaha. I like and own the 4-stroke Yamaha.

Cape Coder

Seaman Apprentice

I have to agree with TD Etec, then Yamaha

BillP

Captain

Why go with the extra maintenance and weight of 4 strokes? I'm a long term 4 stroke owner (since 1996) and won't do 4 stroke again. Without a doubt...Etec...then Yammy...Suzuki a distant 3rd. I'd do Merc before Suzuki.

Last week a new Suzuki owner told me the owners handbook says not to use ethanol. He's in a quandry because that's about all we have around here and it's getting worse. You might want to check that detail before going Suzuki.

bp

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

My buddy has a yammy v-max 150 and its a lemon.... I would go with the etec... heard lots of good things about em. worth a lil extra $$.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm thinking that Etec's aren't really serviceable by the owner because of all the computer controlled stuff.You would need an expensive computer diagnostic system only a dealer could afford.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

My last 3 vehicles have been computer controlled and I have serviced them all.... Granted, outboards generally require a little more serivce and one might say the etecs have not been around long enough to prove themselves..... But, I have not heard anything bad about them yet.... and that carries a lot of weight in my book.... You have got a tough decision to make!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Last week a new Suzuki owner told me the owners handbook says not to use ethanol. He's in a quandry because that's about all we have around here and it's getting worse. You might want to check that detail before going Suzuki.

My Evinrude and Mercury manuals say the same thing about ethanol. Should I be worried?

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Post from another board, Quote:

?Here is a picture I took of ethanol based fuel that came out of a boat in our service shop. This shows you how ethanol breaks down and creates a "gel" at the bottom of your fuel tank. This gel is the first thing pulled into your engine. This boat did have a 10 micron filter installed and it was full of gel as well. It came in with idling and running problems. I think we call all see what the issue was. The filter on the left was the old filter on the engine and the one on the right is the new one that is installed. Please follow the recommendations for ethanol fuel. Use stabilizers designed for ethanol and ALWAYS have a 10 micron filter and keep in changed and clean. Just some FYI on ethanol.?

070208_08571.jpg

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Running performance boats such as STV's etc, we've had 3 150 E-tecs catch on fire from shorting out with all the wires and crap under the hood. We bought 4 of them at work and only 1 is left running. We have since gone back to Merc/yammy.

gss036

Commander

I just went through the same thing repowering my boat. After checking on Mercury, (just blew up a
ercury, so was not really sold on another one) Yamaha(too costly,highest price of any of them) and E-Tec (which I really wanted, but too costly) and Honda. I was able to find a non-current 225 Honda which saved me almost 5K, so I went that one. The Honda has a 5 year non declining Honda factory warranty.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link.That 4 stroke Yamaha gets double the MPG as the Etec at 3500 rpm.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

In all fairness I think the Evinrude boys set the calibration wrong on their flow meter that day. The Yamahas usually do a little better than the E-TECs on fuel efficiency and usually match them on top speed for a given hull. This comparison is probably more representative of the performance differences between the two.

E-TEC
http://www.evinrude.com/NR/rdonlyres/38329FF9-6C92-40AA-B44A-9F48E2F5514B/0/PE495.pdf

Yamaha
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...lletin_4stroke_hpv6_rel_sdc-sc205-f150txr.pdf

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

In all fairness I think the Evinrude boys set the calibration wrong on their flow meter that day. The Yamahas usually do a little better than the E-TECs on fuel efficiency and usually match them on top speed for a given hull. This comparison is probably more representative of the performance differences between the two.

E-TEC
http://www.evinrude.com/NR/rdonlyres/38329FF9-6C92-40AA-B44A-9F48E2F5514B/0/PE495.pdf

Yamaha
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...lletin_4stroke_hpv6_rel_sdc-sc205-f150txr.pdf

You can not compare apples and oranges. These boats are 1/2 the weight of the Wellcraft and substanually different hull designs.

Those E-tec numbers are probably not all that far off given that they are running in a moderate chop into 20 Kt. winds. The Yamaha is running in calm seas.
I would bet a 175 or 200HP E-tec would have performed a bit better than the 150HP.

Maniac

Recruit

The quote below is straight from my 2008 Suzuki 140 owners manuel word for word.

Gasoline/Ethanol Blends
Blends of unleaded gasoline and ethanol (grain alocohol), also known as gasohol, may be used in your outboard motor if the ethanol content is not greater than 10%.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This debate about ethanol being bad for your engine is just plain unsubstantiated B as in B, S as in S. We've used ethanol blended fuel here in Minnesota since 1997 and it simply poses no problems with one exception. Very old motors or very old boats that have had neglected fuel systems will be cleaned up by the blended fuel. The deposits will be caught by the fuel filter plugging it up. Some gunk will make it into the carb and if the carbs are dirty, they two will be cleaned up but the debris may not make it fully out of the carb so a rebuild will be necessary. Once cleaned up, and any gaskets or that were originally not ethanol tolerant have been replaced with newer ones, the engine will live on. That includes my 4-stroke Suzuki. Treat the fuel and go boating.

By the way -- when doing the E-tec vs any four-stroke debate and numbers are thrown about, be sure you understand what those numbers mean. An example mentioned in this thread indicated "the Yammy showed better fuel economy numbers then the E-tec at 3500 RPM". Note that there was no speed attached to that 3500 RPM number. While I don't have the numbers for that comparison, is it possible the E-tec was pushing the boat faster than the Yammy at 3500 RPM? If so, for a fair comparison one could throttle back the E-tec to the same speed as the Yammy and therefore the MPG numbers would be different. Numbers are great -- but they don't always tell a true story. I can get 36 MPG with my Impala. See how nice that number is? That MPG comes at 45 MPH. Hardly useful on the freeway. Understand what you are reading.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

That?s exactly why one should post links with their opinion or argument. The material can be viewed and judged by others based on it?s merit. If the information's wrong, someone has an opportunity to show why.