Dipping Anchor Chain

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there somewhere i can buy a vinyl dip or some type of protectant to put on my anchor chain to avoid a lot of scratching....these types seem really expensive out of the store and i figure since i have my own lenght of chain i could probably do it myself a lot cheaper.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dipping Anchor Chain

Have you checked Lowe's or Depot for vinyl coated chain? Not that expensive if I recall. There are some vinyl coatings you could apply, but my guess is that if you do not independently coat every link it will crack and flake and suck . . .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a plastic coating, but as QC said it cracks everytime you move the chain. thus you end up with a rusty vinyl coated chain.

cmcpherson

Banned

Sounds like an awful lot of work when the chain is not that expensive to begin with...

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks...i'll have to check home depot or lowes...the marine stores are running about 50-60 dollars for 5 ft of coated chain....i call that rather expensive.

john from md

Commander

I coat mine with CRS Heavy duty corrosion spray. It works great and doesn't bind up like vinyl coverings do. I usually spray it once a year and it works great. This stuff is available from West Marine and Boaters World.

John

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.. the marine stores are running about 50-60 dollars for 5 ft of coated chain....

5/16" x 5' vinyl coated at West is $22.99. I guess it depends on the perception of "expensive". You can do it yourself, but it will suck even worse than commercial coated ... :)

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think his intent was to prevent it from scratching the boat. Just guessing, tho. Seems silly to worry about scratching a chain.

alamosaddles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I coat mine with CRS Heavy duty corrosion spray. It works great and doesn't bind up like vinyl coverings do. I usually spray it once a year and it works great. This stuff is available from West Marine and Boaters World.

John

That's excellent for rust prevention, but it does nothing for what he's asking, scratch prevention.

alamosaddles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think his intent was to prevent it from scratching the boat. Just guessing, tho. Seems silly to worry about scratching a chain.

He doesn't care about scratching the chain, it's to prevent the chain from inadvertantly scratching the gel coat on his boat.

cmcpherson

Banned

thanks...i'll have to check home depot or lowes...the marine stores are running about 50-60 dollars for 5 ft of coated chain....i call that rather expensive.

I think they saw you coming, s/b under $25 just about everywhere!

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i don't know what the deal was with that chain..it was packaged up in a 5 ft section...not sure though but i do know it had 49.95 or something like that on the tag. didn't see any in their barrels that was coated...went to lowes today and picked up 10ft for 20 bucks....not as pretty as what was in the package in west marine but better than bare metal. and yeah it was to prevent scratching of my boat...i've already scared up my rub rail pretty good...it's a stainless rub rail so it doesn't look so hot with the scratches..hopefully the vinyl will reduce that just a little bit. no matter how hard i try not to hit the boat with the chain, it's bound to happen.

bhammer

Ensign

I picked up some vinyl tube from the big box store for mine. It is the same stuff that you find over the chains on swing sets. It costs about 25 cents per foot and is thin enough to allow you fold the chain up as well.