Bearings?

Angiecobia

Cadet
Hi to all, <br /><br />Quick question! What type of Lubrication I should use when istalling the Crankcase head and bearing Assy? and bearing ,ball?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /> :p

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Bearings?

Vasaline.It is sticky enough to keep the roller pin bearrings in place and the gasoline dissolves it once the engine runs.There is an official evinrude material that is almost as good.The important thing is that it dissolves in gasoline.

Angiecobia

Cadet

rolmops,<br /><br />Okay! So the lub should be able to dissolve once it runs? it's not suppose to stay on?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

That is true,if it is a 2 stroke engine you are rebuilding.The oil in the 2 stroke mix lubricates everything in the crank case.

Angiecobia

Cadet

Thanks so much for the help....I'll let you know how it goes.... Thanks...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

for the caged roller and the lower ball bearing use tcw-3 oil.<br /> the only time vasoline is nesasary is with the engines using loose needles. but if its caged use tcw-3.

Angiecobia

Cadet

Sorry for not answering soon, but I was away a few days. Anyway, Thanks rodbolt, I wwill use the tcw-3 oil. iIs there an certain torque I need to apply when tightening the connecting rod caps? The manual says finger tight, but I have doubts? I know its measurements in pounds. Any idea or recommendations?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

All rod bolts have a torque spec. What motor are we building?

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

I had an old 55 Johnson that crashed when the cage bearing on the rod broke. Then ten years later on a 175 Johnson that had the main ball bearing assembly die, I did a microscopic check on the caged rod bearings. Found hairline carcks on several. Replace them all if you are in there anyway. And yes, vasoline is the way to go to hold the cage replacement bearings, which are not in a cage. Interesting that the replacements do not have cages! You can even heat it with a hair drier before closing the engine up. It will drip out.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The rod bolts torque at 29-31 ft/lbs.<br /><br />Remember, the caps have to go back on the same rod. And they only fit (correctly) one way. Line up the little dots.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have never tried disolving vasoline in gas, so I can't say how it would be as an assembly grease. I have alway's just used the OMC needle bearing grease. If I were going to use vasoline, I would use just enough to hold the bearing's in place. You would not want that on the bearing very long, as I doubt it has a very high film strenght.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Vaseline is also known as petroleum jelly.It dissolves completely in gasoline.In my omc manual it is actually advised to use vaseline in the absence of the omc goop.

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

And vasoline goes completly liquid not much above room temp. Once you use it to hold the needles in place, you can hit the asembly with a hair drier and watch it drip out.

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

And vasoline goes completly liquid not much above room temp. Once you use it to hold the needles in place, you can hit the asembly with a hair drier and watch it drip out.

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

Melting point - 100 degrees F<br /><br />Petroleum jelly - <br />Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia<br />Vaseline is a semi-solid mixture of hydrocarbons, having a melting-point usually<br />ranging from a little below to a few degrees above 100° F (37° C). ...