7.5 Honda outboard year/price questions

superflydudebike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking to purchase a 7.5 HP Honda 4 stroke long shaft motor. My father went to look at it for me and it seems to be in good running condtion. He was only able to gather the following information regardign model number, BF75L CDI. Is there any way to determine year with this? In addtion, I would like some input as to how much to pay. Are these reliable motors? It was used a sailboat backup motor by second owner. The asking price is $700 I have not seen the motor as it is 200 miles away so any assistance would be helpful. The motor is in northern Wisconsin.

tommays

Admiral
Re: 7.5 Honda outboard year/price questions

As a sail and powerboat owner i can tell you that sailboat motors get pretty poor care in most cases ;)

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're going to need serial # to find year.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's a $200.00 engine in running condition...I wouldn't use it because of the age...It's old for a Honda, late 80's early 91.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Seems pricey.
Those outboards fetch around $500 in my area but 4-strokes go for more $$ around here. On Ebay that motor would go for around $400. Depending on condition I would think it would fetch from $300 in fair shape to $500 in nice shape. Long shafts typically sell for less money.

I had a 10 hp Honda probably about the same year as the one your looking at. It seemed like a good outboard but I prefer 2-strokes so I sold it. I've seen pics of newer Honda's (around year 2000) with the cowl off and it looked pretty much identical to my 1984 Honda. Since it looks to be the same motor they must be pretty reliable since apparently they haven't changed the design in 20+ years.

reelfishin

Captain

Seems pricey.
Those outboards fetch around $500 in my area but 4-strokes go for more $$ around here. On Ebay that motor would go for around $400. Depending on condition I would think it would fetch from $300 in fair shape to $500 in nice shape. Long shafts typically sell for less money.....

I picked up an '85 10hp BF100 a few weeks ago for $50 in good running shape, but that's not the norm around here. I've been offered $550 for it already. I've seen these sell for over $700 in the spring. They aren't very common here, I haven't seen but a few and there are no dealers nearby.
They are a heavier than the average 2 stroke of the same hp rating. My 10 hp Honda weighs nearly as much as my 25hp Evinrude 2 stroke.
I've found the opposite here, the long shaft motors bring more in general than the short shafts, unless it's an extra long sailboat motor, (longer then 20" shaft length).

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try looking at the spark plugs wires for the date stamp. My old 7.5 honda is stamped 1976 which is correct for the serial number.
Nick