1976 Evinrude 35hp

bluefinn

Cadet
Just got this motor...it has not been run for over a year. I had it tuned up and all seemed well. I took it out this weekend for a test . It ran great for the first 5 minutes at high revs and then it seemed to slip... Like a clutch slipping. It revved fine but seemed to lose thrust at higher revs. I then idled around for about 15 minutes. It then seemed to work fine ?? I only have an hour on this motor and am not sure if this was just temporary due to not running for a while OR an indication of a problem. thoughts ?<br />Would like elec start...is it worth retro-fitting this older motor ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1976 Evinrude 35hp

Howdy, bluefinn.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />You may be ventilating the prop. Check that the anti-ventilation plate is about level with the bottom of your boat.<br /><br />Another possibility is a sheared pin or slipped hub in your prop. Don't remember which the '76s used.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looked at several 76 35hp diagrams, saw no shear pin. every time i've shear a pin, i've just stopped and revved.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Also, make sure the motor is not trimmed out too far. Should be perpendicular(Somewhat) to the water..

G DANE

Commander

Shearpins went out in 1975. Take a speedmarker and draw a line over propnut and down over propeller hub. Take it for a spin and let it run WOT untill it starts to slip. Take a look at the line. If the piece at the propnut doesnt line op with the rest on the hub, your prop has a slipping rubber hub, which can be fixed at any prop shop for something around 50$, I think. The hub rarely slips, but is there to give in instead of busting gears when you eventually hit a hard object in water or bottum. They can slip several times without going bad, age does something to them too.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You said it was doing it, then stopped doing it. Might be you simple had some seaweed or debri on the prop, which you lost when you slowed down.<br /><br />The clutch on your motor wouldn't slip "quietly". If it slipped, it would do so with a violent "thunk" sound, like you hit a log.<br /><br />The only other thing that could slip would be the prop hub. Can be checked by marking the prop in line with the cotter key holding the prop nut and then noting whether they are still in line after a run where the slipping is noted.<br /><br />- Scott

Sounds just like a bad prop hub. If you had a gearcase issue the motor normally jumps and makes noise, however when the rubber hub starts to fail it will begin slipping under load but hold at lower power levels. Another way to check it is to pull the prop and visually inspect the rubber hub for signs of wear or damage. If it is cracking or torn it should be replaced.