Help Guys!

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

I bought an 89 Capri (1700) I think....it has an inboard motor (85 hp) and I don't have any manuals for the boat. It's time to get gas and I'm not sure what oil to buy. On the back of the boat where the fuel cap is it says to mix 50:1. It doesn't say what kind of oil. Anyone know? What can you do if you put the wrong oil in and didn't realize it till the tank was gone? Is there an additive you can put in?

One more question, it didn't come with the snap covers, I have the window covers and the bimi top, where can I get the snap covers? The boat is always in the water tied to my dock and I would like to protect it from rain. What would be the best thing to do?

Thanks bunches!

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help Guys!

No for the additive. I use 2 cycle oil bought from wall mart. The sell a off brand and they sell johnson brand in a LARGE container. Depending on money at the time is what I buy, though I dont notice a difference in the 2. As for the snap covers I would like to know that answer also.

cordell

Recruit

Thanks Cordell! I thought inboard motors were 4cycle? I have an 85 inboard engine. That's what I've been reading? I put 2cycle in and it smokes when idle.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi Everyone,

I bought an 89 Capri (1700) I think....it has an inboard motor (85 hp) and I don't have any manuals for the boat. It's time to get gas and I'm not sure what oil to buy. On the back of the boat where the fuel cap is it says to mix 50:1. It doesn't say what kind of oil. Anyone know? What can you do if you put the wrong oil in and didn't realize it till the tank was gone? Is there an additive you can put in?

One more question, it didn't come with the snap covers, I have the window covers and the bimi top, where can I get the snap covers? The boat is always in the water tied to my dock and I would like to protect it from rain. What would be the best thing to do?

Thanks bunches!

... hiya cita,

does your motor look like a big sea horse hanging on the back of your boat? or possibly you have the L drive. can you post a pic perhaps?

what kind of oil do you think may have been put in the tank plus how much of it? no oil in the gas would have overheated your motor. it needs correct lubrication desperately.

you'll want to stick with NNMA certified TC-W3 marine two stroke oil. Add 1 pint to every six gallons. like cordell said, you can get a good deal at Wallmart.

get ready for sticker shock. try this place for snap covers. make sure you give a hull ID they are very precise. also ask for a sale or clearance one cause they will be pricey!

http://www.letastopshop.com/

be safe man

Recruit

azlakes....thanks for your help! Hehe...ya I found the site you listed in your post....gulp.

Here is a pic of what the motor looks like. Its not my boat but it's the exact boat....mine is in the water and I didn't take pics before we dropped it in.

3e9c_1.jpg

5354_1.jpg

Thanks again for your help!
Jen

Recruit

Azlakes...my Dad put in 2 cycle outboard marine oil. We added 50:1. The oil said to add 3 oz for 1 gallon. It's not the motor that smokes and it only does it when it's idle.

Thanks again!

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Yup - that is the dreaded L-drive. Parts are scarce, mechanics ( qualified )to work on them even harder to find. The L-drive was basically an experimental setup from Bayliner. I think it lasted for two years of production and at very limited numbers.
Your mooring cover is going to cost you some bucks, Leta is not your best bet. Look here through the iboats catalogue, probably find what you are looking for. Plenty of other suppliers as well ( Overton's, etc. ).
If you haven't done any mechanical work to the motor or lower unit you should at least change out the water impeller.
I do not recommend the use of Clymer or Seloc manuals as they can be very vague and misleading - stick with original OEM books. However in your situation those may be a tad bit difficult to find. Scrounge around eBay or even call a Bayliner dealer - just might get lucky.

Recruit

Thanks for the info. The dreaded L-Drive? Eeeks. I still don't know for sure what oil to mix with the gas? :confused: We did just have the impeller replaced.....glad you mentioned that

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. The dreaded L-Drive? Eeeks. I still don't know for sure what oil to mix with the gas? :confused: We did just have the impeller replaced.....glad you mentioned that

Cita .. as posted earlier. Look for this. They have it at many auto and walmart outlet stores. Get yourself a long funnel and a large strong plastic measuring cup. Pour 1 pint of the marine oil in the measuring cup and pour it down the funnel into your gas tank. then add six gallons of unleaded. repeat process twice and that should get you a few hours on the water.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...s&start=10&zoom=1&selectedSKU=0107-02265-3896