Need help - 56 Evinrude 30hp

Brymill

Seaman Apprentice
HI guys,

I have a 1956 evinrude 30 hp that I bought last year. I just put it in the water yesterday and it would not build any rpm's at full throttle. It felt like it was under a load. I got it back to the house and the plugs had a small amount of fuel oil mix seeping out around the plugs. I removed the plugs and the bottom did not seem to be firing at all. The guy I bought it from says he put new coils in the motor. I have not checked. Any Ideas on my problem? Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Need help - 56 Evinrude 30hp

You will want to check compression, fuel, and spark. Tell us what you find, and we can go from there.

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys, just so I want confuse anyone Brymill and 59lido same person. I forgot my password at work today so created a new account.Anyway back to the motor. I checked the compression and had between 110 & 120 on both cylinders. I checked the spark and found the bottom cylinder not firing from coil. Top looked great. It had a that jumped 7/16"to 1/2". Sounds like the coil to me. What kind of puller is needed to remove the flywheel? I'm going to replace the points, plugs, condensor, and coils.While I have it apart.Dose that sound like the right thing to do to you guys? The person I bought the motor from in Texas said all this had been done, but I don't think it was. Any other ideas would be welcome.
thanks

wbeaton

Commander

If the coils are original they need to be replaced. Get a harmonic balancer puller. Don't use a puller that lifts up on the edges of the flywheel. I think replacing the entire ignition is the right move as long as it is original.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You can remove the recoil starter and the 3 screws from the top of the flywheel. You can then look down in there and see if it has new coils. (Some flywheels have a different cover over the inspection hole--it will be obvious)

IF it has all that new stuff as promised you probably have a bad spark plug wire. They arc through where they are clamped to the bottom of the armature plate, just a tiny pin hole. No sense in throwing parts at it if that's all it needs.

OR, maybe the guy didn't set the points right. Should be .020". You can do that through the hole also.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If the coils check out, or have been replaced, it could be a dirty set of points. Check everything under the flywheel, coils/points/condensors/wires and clean all connections.

Brymill

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I plan on checking all these this afternoon when I get off work. I thought I would include a pic of the motor.

Attachments

• MVC-002S[1].JPG
    MVC-002S[1].JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 0

Brymill

Seaman Apprentice

This is a pic of the motor and boat. This was this past Sunday on its maiden voyage. Motor would not run up to speed.

Attachments

• IMG_0040a.JPG
    IMG_0040a.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 0

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

Ok guys, got flywheel off and found one old coil on the cylinder that was firing and a newer coil on the one that was not firing. I replaced coils,points, and condensers. Still not firing on the one cylinder. I found the plug wire had a repair with electrical tape. I'm guessing that is probably the problem. Whats the best way to get those wires off? Dose the housing with the coils and points come off if you remove the two screws toward the center near the points? Didn't have time to figure it out. Wife said I had to come in and feed the baby. Again thanks for all your help.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Feeding the baby always comes first my wife says also! That's a nice paint job on the engine and a creative spot to mount the fuel pump, do you have better pics of the pump conversion?

Yes, the entire ignition plate comes off. 4 phillips screws I believe on that model.

jbjennings

Captain

Check the ends of the plug wires for corrosion. I've had to snip off a 1/2 inch of wire and pull it further. Also, use a cheap meter to flex the wire while checking resistance to see if there's a break in the core of the suspect wire---rare.
A really nice job and beautiful rig!
I hope you post a full throttle pic when you get it fixed.
JBJ.

Brymill

Seaman Apprentice

Samo ott,

I don't have any right now but I will take a few and post them.

clarky711

Seaman

HI guys,

I have a 1956 evinrude 30 hp that I bought last year. I just put it in the water yesterday and it would not build any rpm's at full throttle. It felt like it was under a load. I got it back to the house and the plugs had a small amount of fuel oil mix seeping out around the plugs. I removed the plugs and the bottom did not seem to be firing at all. The guy I bought it from says he put new coils in the motor. I have not checked. Any Ideas on my problem? Thanks

I'm having the same problems with my 59 Lark. I check the coils from the inspection cover last night and they appeared to be both new. How do you check the points as I've never done that before...

Also, I tried checking for spark, and got zapped by both plugs. I'm assuming that they both are working, but what is the correct way to do so with out being the tester? Thanks.

Mike

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The best way to replace the wires is to pull the armature plate off the motor. Four screws hold it down, plus linkages. The four screws form a rectangle toward the middle of the armature, two down low and the two closest to the crankshaft on the coils. Pulling the plate will allow you to remove the guards that hold the wires in place on the underside. Replace the entire wire - boot and sparky included...
- Scott

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

brymill: That is one nice looking boat, and engine. Is that a Speedliner, or a Pabst by chance? You can buy a spark checker at most any auto store. If you remove the coils, and condensers, most dealers can check them for you.

Brymill

Seaman Apprentice

R Johnson,
I'm not sure what type of boat it is. The says its a Meteor but I have yet been able to find a boat like it with the flying transom. I've taken uit to a couple of boat shows and had several people tell me it was a Chris Craft kit boat. I've researched it for two years bought books on outboard boats and still can't find anything on it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There was a 'Meteor' plan offered in some of the old Popular Mechanics type magazines back in the 1950s. I have built some scale models of it and it does have a bit of a tumble-home transom.
- Scott

Attachments

• Meteor1.jpg
    Meteor1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Meteor2.jpg
    Meteor2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0

Brymill

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info Scott. It is a 1957 model and the frame is very well built out of mahogany. It took 2 years of work to get it to where it is now. If I can get that motor running right I'll be in for a ride.

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

Ok Guys, I got the motor firing on both cylinders and running pretty good. My only problem came when I put the recoiil start and engine cover back on. I started it back up and the recoil was trying to engage the flywheel. If you pull the recoil handle out of the engine cover and let the rope go all the way in it dose not rub the flywheel. It did not do this before I took it apart. As a matter of fact I started the motor with just the recoil installed and it was fine no rubbing but when I put the engine cover on it started rubbing. I tried shimming the recoil up some but it still rubs the flywheel but only when the robe is pulled out to put the hande in the cover. Anybody got any ideas what I did wrong. There is only three screws did not think I could mess that up. thanks for your help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you pull the rope out any at all, the pawls move to engage the notched cage thing on top of the flywheel. That makes noise if it is running. That part is normal.

When you install the hood, you have to pull the rope out a bit. That also makes noise if it is running. But why are you trying to put the hood on while it is running anyway?

Anyway, bottom line: Pull the rope out at least a foot and let it retract. There should be no more noise. If there is, then the pawl arrangement on the recoil is goofed up. It is tricky to assemble if you take it apart. Check back if you need assembly instructions. Takes many words of typing.