1970 40HP Johnson: Running at 1/2 speed

Jake12

Cadet
I bought this two week ago. Carburator was flooding out, would not idel smooth and would cut out after running for 10 or 15 minutes. I replaced the carb with a rebuild kit(float,needle and gaskets) and put in new plugs. Since then, I am able to get it to idel OK(after adjusting the the slow idel screw and putting in new packing) and dosn't miss a lick when running except that it will now only go about half speed. Runs and sounds good but it runs as though the engine is draging something. None of the linkage was messed with. Model # 40ESL 70A. Any suggesions?<br />Thanks,<br />Jake12

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1970 40HP Johnson: Running at 1/2 speed

A common failing for these engines is to loose spark under load. It's easy to test for the fault by doing a spark check. Start by seeing if you can draw a 1/4"-3/8" long spark off each plug wire. If it can only jump a very small gap, the problem is most likely a cracked ignition coil.<br /><br />New coils are cheap and replacing them is relatively easy with a couple 'special tools'. Nothing very expensive though.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Have you looked to make sure the butterfly valves are opening fully. Something could have been moved.

Jake12

Cadet

Originally posted by Ed:<br /> Have you looked to make sure the butterfly valves are opening fully. Something could have been moved.

Jake12

Cadet

If I originally had a spark plug gap of.035 and now I have the gap at .030(the correct gap), do you think this could have been the problem and now it should run at full speed?<br />Thanks for any answers in advance.<br />Jake

Paul Moir

Admiral

Not very likely, but could be. Run that spark check.

Jake12

Cadet

Thanks Paul for following me. I was going to test this evening but a storm is currently overhead. It's a kicked back evening.<br />Thanks a bunch.<br />Jake

Jake12

Cadet

Does the battery play a role in keeping the motor running? I have two battery's: one for trolling, lights,etc and the other for the starter only. The unit originally had a generator. No longer there. The battery always has enought charge to run the starter every time. With all this said and all notes from above, "If the generator is not charging the battery, would this be a cause of the motor only running at 1/2 speed or seems to be pulling a load? From what I am reading, I believe the magneto flywheel is what keeps the engine running but not sure. <br />Thanks,<br />Jake

Paul Moir

Admiral

No it doesn't. The battery operates the starter, and draws from the generator. Other than that, it doesn't do anything for the engine.<br />The ignition system (a magneto) is totally independant from the battery system. You can disconnect the generator, wind a rope around the flywheel, and start the outboard without any battery at all.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Jake, I'd listen to Paul for two reasons:<br /><br />1. He's pretty clever about these engines :D <br /><br />2. Sounds absolutely identical to the problem I had with a '73 25HP Evinrude and on checking it out the problem was a cracked coil: easy and cheap fix and a very smooth engine again.

Jake12

Cadet

Ok. Before I pull the fly wheel, I want to check with you all about one more thing. At the begining of my project during the carb rebuild, I did not adjust the float to the horizional position(of course I found this out after the fact). The new float, seat and needle fixed the original problem: gas flooding out the front of the carb. Now...the question: Would this adjustment in the float be a cridical adjustment and the cause for running at 1/2 speed?<br />Thanks for all you help. This has been fun for me. I have a garage and all winter to get ready.<br />Jake

Paul Moir

Admiral

The float adjustment is critical and can certainly cause bad high speed running & sever engine damage if set too low. It should be set so when the carb is held upside down, the float is level with the surface that the bowl gasket sits on.<br />The spark gap test shows cracked igniton coils almost perfectly.