depressed

lquested

Seaman
went to lake today and transom broke what do you guys think the cost to replace it would cost ?. thank by the way this is a `1988 bayliner capri 1900 bow rider w 125hp force

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: depressed

and transom broke what do you guys think the cost to replace it would cost ?. thank by the way this is a `1988 bayliner capri 1900 bow rider w 125hp force

Ayuh,...

Probably 3 to 5 times the Value of the boat......

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... that sux lq, can you post a pic of the damage?

lquested

Seaman

so lets ee the boats worth 2100.00 3 to 5 times that is uuhhhhhmmmmmm holy cow 6300.00 to 10500.00 shoot i could buy a new boat...

lquested

Seaman

daughters gone with camera but it is cracked along the top and down ths back past the bolt holes and the motor moves up and down bout 3 to 4 inches id say it a gonner hit something in water prop is bent bad

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have all ideas when you get into it, the deck and stringers are going to be gone also. if you have if done, minimum $2,000. would be a good down payment on another boat.

lquested

Seaman

ill talk to insurance company tommorrow and see what happenes. im getting tired of working on this piece of garbage. i will be looking into another boat. new~! thanks ..
lee

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class

When did it break? Where you under way, or launching, retrieving? Was it obvious when it happened?

I have a fear of my transom being ripped off and the boat sinking to the bottom before I realize what happens. :(

Robj

Lieutenant

Unfortunately the transom broke because it is rotten, probably just like the stringers and deck. That boat is not worth that much in its current condition, especially with that Force motor. Your best bet would be to try and part it out, or you can try fixing it yourself and replacing the stringers and deck, which would cost about $2k for materials alone and alot of sweat equity.

I doubt that your insurance co would cover a rotten transom.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bondo

Staff member

this is a `1988 bayliner capri 1900 bow rider w 125hp force so lets ee the boats worth 2100.00

Ayuh,.....

In My world that boat Might be worth $500./ $1000.....At Best....

Of Course,.... That's Without a Rotten, Broken transom......

lquested

Seaman

some of you guys are really stupid bayliner/force bashers (idiots)
#1 when did it say anywhere in the post that the transom and stringers are rotten? oh it didnt.. that transom is new dumb a**. the boat was really taken good care of by the other owner.the ins company looked at the boat before insuring it and said they have not seen a boat that old in that good condition.and insured the boat for 6000.00. hhmmmm. i really wish people who dont know anything really shouldnt say any thing..i could go on but i dont feel like stooping to a dummys level..and to the others thanks for trying to help.
lee

redfury

Commander

Chevy/Ford haters. I love my Glastron, but I could easily bash the construction of it after tearing into it as a cheaply built boat in its day...yet there are boats like it in great condition. Please don't take some of the comments too seriously, some guys just have a thing against Bayliners ( also known as "bilgeliners" ) and Force motors ( formerly Chrysler Marine ).

Just a good chance there is stringer rot if there is transom rot, that's what they are getting at. Boat can be cleaned and kept indoors when its not on the lake, but what about all the water that got into the boat all day long from high seas or a rainstorm. Water gets in and rots wherever there is a way to get in and get at the wood. Your transom failed for this exact reason. May have been a well kept boat, but the transom failed regardless.

jcsercsa

Captain

ill talk to insurance company tommorrow and see what happenes. im getting tired of working on this piece of garbage. i will be looking into another boat. new~! thanks ..
lee

Frist of all is this your post ? And mainly [ im getting tired of working on this piece of garbage.] I think this was you that said this ????
to get on tashasdaddy he is the man , you should trust what he says !!! that is the word he told you two grand !!!

Now you want to bash any one that wants to put there two cent in ??? where do you get off ??? there are plenty of great people on here that own bayliners !!!! and as for the force motor some of them are still running but for resale you dont get a plug nickle for them !!!

So i just dont like it whensome one comes on here and get all hurt cause there being told the truth !!! if your transom is rotten them more then not your stringes are gone also !!!

So dont get on your high Horse and try to take it out on everone else !!!! John

jcsercsa

Captain

Chevy/Ford haters. I love my Glastron, but I could easily bash the construction of it after tearing into it as a cheaply built boat in its day...yet there are boats like it in great condition. Please don't take some of the comments too seriously, some guys just have a thing against Bayliners ( also known as "bilgeliners" ) and Force motors ( formerly Chrysler Marine ).

Just a good chance there is stringer rot if there is transom rot, that's what they are getting at. Boat can be cleaned and kept indoors when its not on the lake, but what about all the water that got into the boat all day long from high seas or a rainstorm. Water gets in and rots wherever there is a way to get in and get at the wood. Your transom failed for this exact reason. May have been a well kept boat, but the transom failed regardless.

I agree redfury, Love my glastron but it was put together like sh@t , it will be done right this time !! and hay it lasted 32 years last time think how long it will last this time !!!John

reelfishin

Captain

I think the biggest problem most people have with Force motors is that they can be tough to find parts for.
Back in the day, when they were still Chrysler Outboards, I don't recall any real problems with them. They weren't the fastest, but they were reliable and ran well. It was always my general impression that they were heavier than most of the competition for a given horsepower.

Bayliner can be a decent boat, but being that they are a low budget or entry level boat, the general construction materials and methods are usually leave something to be desired. Any boat thats been well kept and maintained can remain a viable boat for many years but unfortunately, most Bayliner buyers are first time buyers and lack the boat maintenance skills that come with experience and years of owning a boat. Many Bayliners were short term ownerships and get passed on fairly quickly in favor of something fancier.

I've seen both good and bad when it comes to Bayliner boats, everything from a serious hull delamination case to just serious deck and stringer rot from years of neglect. Most problems are owner inflicted in some way, whether by neglect, abuse or just lack of know-how.
I have several older Chrysler motors that still run fine, but I've replaced them with more modern power mostly for the convenience of tilt and trim, but they still run as good as the day they were new.
Prior to being Chrysler products, they were made by West Bend, (the pots and pans people), Chrysler acquired them in the mid 60's to add outboards to their marine division. Chrysler sold off the marine division during hard times in and they were rebadged Force in 1984 by then US Marine. US Marine sold them to Brunswick, the owners of Mercury Marine in the 90's.
Even till the very end, there remained a lot of interchangeability with the early Chrysler motors. I've swapped whole Force power heads onto earlier Chrysler motors. If nothing else, I really like the simplicity of the earlier Chrysler motors, keep good fuel and a good impeller in them and they seem run forever.

lquested

Seaman

ok let my start by saying sorry not been a good day... upon further inspection transom not rotton. bad fiberglass job i guess the force of the force pulled the transom thus cracking the fiber glass really bad. the transom is new maybe 2 yrs ago. you can stand on the lower unit and jump up and ndown all day moving transom i would guess `1/2 to 1 inch. dont know why it happened thats all i can think of didnt feel anything hit the boat... as far as saying piece of garbage. just mad put alot of money into boat for a 3 hour tour. ( like gilligans island ) did have fun though.i have named the boat " open wallet " sounded appropriate. cause everytime id buy a part id tell the lady let me open my wallet again. any way sorry again guess i should have waited to post after "I" got the facts straight... thanks guys

lee

Robj

Lieutenant

The fact is that you transom was weakened, a sound transom does not fail lin the manner you described. In most cases failure is by rott. May not be the case here, but regardless that was/is a weak transom. Unfortunately Bayliners and other boats of that era do tend to have rott problems. Partly due to poor workmanship and due to neglect. You are lucky nothing serious happened as a result of the failure.

Those that gave you the advice, know alot about boats, they are some of the experts who regularly give others sound advice.

The bottom line is that you will need to throw some $$$ to fix this boat, and even when it is done, will still not be worth all that much.

Hope tommorrow is a better day.

Rob.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

the transom is new maybe 2 yrs ago.

Sounds like whoever repaired the transom 2 years ago did not do a very good job. Of course he probably just had a rotten transom and did a quickie repair to sell the boat.

I know what you are up against. I once had a 1987 Bayliner Capri.

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmmm, If it's insured ..... take it out again .............

Did I say that? :rolleyes:

I love your boats name, seems appropriate for almost every boat out there.

Hope things turn around for you and your boat.