Outdrive needs work...Advice....

Brancieri

Cadet
Today is my birthday and I received bad news. The guy from Maveric Marine in Van Nuys called me and asked that I come down to see what needs to be done and why. The bellows was in fact leaking, the u-joints are very rusted? gimbal bearing, steering shaft?all in all it is about a $5,000 quote to repair the outdrive. This is so disturbing?but, I guess I learn another lesson; have the boat inspected prior to purchasing. I paid $5,000 for the boat about 2 months ago, just had a front enclosure done that cost about $1000. Put a new VHF radio and installed a fishfinder/GPS. I will not pay $5,000 to have this fixed. I have to pay about $800 for them to put it back together with the outdrive serviced and it will be running how it was before I took it in. I see outdrives on E-bay for about $1300, has anyone used one? Do you recommend them? They come with a 3 year warranty. What I?m seriously considering is selling the boat as soon as I get it back. I only want to get what I paid for it. I?ll eat the loss on the enclosure. What are some opinions and what would you do?

Thanks,

1984 Sea Ray SRV 225
www.brancieri.com/SeaRay

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outdrive needs work...Advice....

$5K? Wow, they are playing with themselves!​

You can get an SEI outdrive for a lot less. This sounds like the one you are asking about. They have a 3 year warranty that covers everything (even if you mess it up). The quality is excellent! Check here on Iboats for one. I think the shipping is free.​

Does that $800 they want replace the bellows? I would have them at least get this done along with aligning the engine so when you buy a new drive, you can just slide it on and go boating. Or you can get one and just let them install it for you.​

I would not sell it. I would enjoy it for as long as you can. Boats cost money at times as we all find out sooner or later. :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

we may be able to help. DonS broke his crystal ball and I lost my magic wand and no one knows what drive we are in fact disscussing.
what drive and year model are we disscussing ?
5K is a tad on the high side but without knowing what drive we are dealing with thats about all I can say.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Hell, it could be a TRS drive, who knows(and $5k would be a bargain).....not enough information to give any advice.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Hell, it could be a TRS drive, who knows(and $5k would be a bargain).....not enough information to give any advice.

1984 Sea Ray SRV 225
www.brancieri.com/SeaRay __________________
1984 Sea Ray SRV 225
Mercruiser 260

I doubt it's a TRS drive, but then again I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure Merc didnot put them behind their 260's in 1984 .........................course then again all that proves is I can F'n read, and use the provided information and links!

Brancieri

Cadet

Sorry about that...it's a Mercruiser O/D Alpha 1, Gen. 1. I'm new at this...
I'm considering two options:
1) purchase the oudrive from e-bay...3-year warrantly one..with Gimbal bearing...bellows kit...everything I need for less than $1500 and have either the shop do it or a mechanic do it. Where it is now charges $120/hour labor. Does this sound OK? Remember I'm in Sothern California...so it may be a little higher. I'm going to search for a local mobile mechanic. I used to be an auto mechanic... But, I'm not familiar with Out Drives and I don't want to make a costly mistake.

2) have them put it together and sell it as is.

I'm leaning towards 1, but I don't want to spend 1000 in labor.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'd buy all the parts, Mercruiser manual, specialized tools and do the work myself, sounds like you're mechanically inclined.

If your go to a shop for repairs, I think they will have a problem using parts you supply,,, outside of maybe the outdrive. I seriously doubt they will warranty any of the parts you supply and I wouldn't want to pay for $120/hr labor without a warranty. I've even run into situations where a shop will charge extra labor if you are supplying your own parts since they are not making money on the parts sale. The SEI outdrive should be OK as it is warrantied by SEI, but then again you will be dealing direct with SEI and paying the dealership for further work if the SEI drive fails.

Though situation since you have all ready sunk $800 into it and not repaired any of the problems.

Brancieri

Cadet

Thanks

I think I can get out of the shop for less. They have done nothing but remove the outdrive. I spoke with a mobile marine mechanic who will do all the work for around $700 if I get the parts. He thinks I should just get the parts and not a whole outdrive. Just the Shaft, U-joints, gimbal bearing.... Maybe he's right...the housing is fine.

Brancieri

Cadet

Thanks for the info those prices are MUCH higher than the e-bay companies. I wonder if there's a difference.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

1984 Sea Ray SRV 225
www.brancieri.com/SeaRay __________________
1984 Sea Ray SRV 225
Mercruiser 260

I doubt it's a TRS drive, but then again I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure Merc didnot put them behind their 260's in 1984 .........................course then again all that proves is I can F'n read, and use the provided information and links!

Well, Einstien...THAT info was not in his post originally...so take that and shove it.

ziggy

Admiral

if yer ujoints are all rusty. ya should at least go look at the drive gear yoke seal. the yoke may be rusty too. leading to early ft. seal failure....
if yer gonna keep it. ya should consider doing the shift cable when the bellhouseing is off doing the bellows... oh, and the water hose too....

ya might pressure test the drive too. would give ya insight as to the condition of the seals inside the drive....

if ya do it yerself... these folks here are great in helping ya out. be sure and use it..... they got me thru doing roughly what yer doing. along with useing and reading in depth your oem service manaul...

Brancieri

Cadet

Thanks...I'm thinking about doing it myself or paying a mobile marine mechanic to help me out. I'm picking up the boat from the shop, where the took apart the outdrive. They are charging me $360 for taking it off and taking it apart. I guess that's not too bad. I'll try to be smart about it from here out. Going to order most of the parts from e-bay...is this a good idea? Not sure If I'll get the entire SE106 drive or just the parts.

Brancieri

Cadet

What specialty tools would I need?

Thanks for all the input.

rabristol

Seaman Apprentice
buy the SEI outdrive

buy the SEI outdrive

Spend the $1300 on a new complete SEI outdrive. I did, and apart from the paint not being perfect, it was the best thing I did for my boat. A 3 year "NO FAULT WARRANTEE" The outdrive in not hard to install.

$1300= no headaches and great reliability. Go to the SEI website. Im glad I did.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good advice there.. then sell all the old leftover parts on e-bay.

spydermann11

Seaman Apprentice

Got mine from sterndrivesolutions.com, $1250 with shipping. Arrived today and have not looked at it yet.

Bondo

Staff member

Got mine from sterndrivesolutions.com, $1250 with shipping.
Arrived today and have not looked at it yet.

What,..???? :eek:

WHAT,..?????? :eek:

What the 'ell are you doing Here online,..??..??.?? :eek:

Man,...... I'd be Rippin',+ Tearin' to get into those boxes............;):D

Brancieri

Cadet

Man, I've had a frustrating day...
Picked up the boat form the Marine shop, paid the $360 they charged to tear it apart and tell me what was wrong, they are the ones that wanted $5000 to repair it. Met with a mechanic at his hous...BS...already started marking it up and telling me this and that. Now, I know it needs the work, but just be straight up...I left his place and decided to just bring it back to the ranch where I store it. The guy who owns the place actually indtroduced me to a guy, mobile marine mechanic, who seems to REALLY know his stuff. He's going to do it for $500. I'm going to get the parts...Gimbal bearing, u-joints....... I don't think I'll get a new drive...the housings are fine...I'll have him check the gears. If their bad or upper and lower need sealing...maybe I'll get the complete new drive.