Sport Jet 90 CDI to CDM conversion - how to do it.

Daremo

Seaman Apprentice
I have finally figured this out.

If you have a CDI ignition Sport Jet 90 and you want to convert to the CDM such as this ignition at Crowley Marine, http://www.crowleymarine.com/specials/Mercury_Ignition.cfm , you have to reuse your old trigger or buy the newer flywheel from 1996 and on. The flywheel part number is 261 9008A36 or 9008A36. The difference between the older flywheel and the 96 is the inner ring that fits down inside the trigger has 1 magnet on the 95 and older models and the 96 trigger has a 2 magnet flywheel.

The other difference is the wiring. The color codes are different on the two triggers. You wire it up in accordance with the CDM wiring diagram, but the old trigger doesnt have a black wire going to ground, it has white/black going to the old switch box. Connect that wire to ground and the other 3 wires will match right up with the CDM harness. Also, your old trigger should measure 1100 to 1400 ohms between white/black and the other 3 leads.

Here is a helpful page on troubleshooting the ignition for this motor, though it is based on the original CDI instead of CDM ignitions.

Thats it. Nice and simple. Took me a while to figure this out. I found an obscure post on some jetboat board where someone mentioned that the upgrade kit requires the flywheel because of the magnets. Thats when I decided to pull my flywheel back off, look it over and then switch to the old trigger.

HTH