Finally got back on the water!

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Had a very successful weekend out on the water after some motor troubles. Finally! Just wanted to share...

Here's the long back story, feel free to skip this paragraph if you bore easily:

I had bought my first boat, an old Saf-T-Mate 16' runabout, with the original motor (60 horse Johnson). Bought it from a father-son business who buy old boats, fix up the motors, and resell them. Took her out for a trial run back in May, had some serious motor problems and almost got stranded. Called the guys I bought it from and they said bring it in, probably something minor. They replaced the fuel pump and we took it out on the water. Still something wrong, so they said leave it and they'll get to the bottom of it. Well, they had it for a month (son who does most of the boat mechanix only works on the boat stuff on the weekends). I was chomping at the bit to get my boat back, especially when Memorial Weekend came and went. Did all i could to get boats off my mind, even staying away from this forum for awhile:( Finally the son calls and says "dude, you're getting a different motor". He couldn't nail down an elusive electrical problem, so he decided to part that motor out. Gave me an Evinrude one year newer with 5 more horses. Have to hand it to those guys, took longer than I hoped, but they took care of me.

So, finally got her on the lake Saturday with a buddy to test out the motor, and it performed like a champ! Got her up to 28-30 mph according to speedo (felt like 60 to my noob boater self). The next day I took my wife and kids out and we had a great time. The old boat (same age as my wife) handles nice on the water, and I really like the retro lines on her (the boat, not my wife. Well, she has nice lines too ;)).

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Finally got back on the water!

I have always believed in that good things happen to those that are patient. Its good to hear a good story :D Good Luck on many more great weekends......SS

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have always believed in that good things happen to those that are patient. Its good to hear a good story :D Good Luck on many more great weekends......SS

Thanks SS Mayfloat (nice moniker ;)). Can't say I was all that patient, tho.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Great story. Glad it ended well for you and the family. Good luck with your new play thing.